Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking to purchase a new sewing machine >

Looking to purchase a new sewing machine

Looking to purchase a new sewing machine

Old 10-12-2017, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

Lots of quilt shops have the Eversewn machines. I'd buy from Amazon. Easy free return if you don't like it. My last two machines I bought new from Amazon. Both were shipped from the machine manufacturer with full warranty and I saved the mark up price of the dealer. I didn't need lessons for these machines.

I remember some years back the high end Kenmore was rated number 1 by many consumer groups for features and ease of use. I want to say it was named the Rose. Not sure though. The same company made New Home and then Janome.

Last edited by Onebyone; 10-12-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:28 AM

I purchased my current machine from amazon as well, I’ve never had any problems with it or needed to repair it. Amazon doesn’t carry Husqvarna, Pfaff or bernina though, I would need to purchase those from a dealer. They do carry Juki and janome though but I’m not sure which models are the best.

I’m really looking for a machine that has adjustable pressure foot pressure, good feed dogs, a bigger harp space, needle threader, automatic needle cutter if I can get it and good lighting would be a plus so I didn’t have to use an additional light source all the time.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:00 PM

I love my BabyLock Elizabeth which I paid $900 for several years ago. I'm not sure tho if they even still make them. My friend recently bought a BabyLock Katheryn for $900 also. We both love our machines! I enjoy buying (or being given) used machines, cleaning them up, oiling them, making sure they run well and then finding a new home for them. Brothers and Kenmores are what I find most. They are excellent machines. Even the older ones. An old Janome came through my hands once and she was a great working machine. Sorry I don't remember model numbers.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:24 PM

I have used Pfaffs for years, I also have aViking and a Janome, I prefer the Pfaffs for the Idt and have been able to sew whatever I have wanted on them.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by shasta5718 View Post
I have used Pfaffs for years, I also have aViking and a Janome, I prefer the Pfaffs for the Idt and have been able to sew whatever I have wanted on them.
I was really interested in the Pfaff Ambition Essential but I do a lot of top stitching and I am not sure I can give up my auto thread cut feature. It makes things so much easier and I feel like it saves me a lot of thread as well.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:02 AM

IF you sew every day and only do straight stitching but want the convenience of knee lift, needle down, large harp, needle threader, HEAVY duty, variable speed (up to heart-stoppingly fast), automatic thread cutter, plus you can fill bobbins while you sew - my new love is your best choice. Three weeks ago I bought a Janome 1600P and, while I have 11 other machines including four Berninas, I am over the moon crazy about this machine. And the price was WAY less than what I paid for my last Bernina over 15 years ago!

After years of looking at all the options/bells and whistles on machines I was using, I finally realized I was never going to use them and didn't care to learn how. I can't remember when I even zigzagged anything! All I wanted was a super reliable, fast straight stitching machine. Trained as a Home Economist, I have sewn about everything in my day. Today I only piece tops and backs and leave the quilting to others. I do see that there is a fmq foot that fits this machine.

My output has tripled at least and I haven't even given myself permission to put this machine up to it's highest speed! I am thinking that I just might get my considerable stash used up for my charity quilting with this baby! There's a screw down gauge that comes with the 1600 that I have been using with considerable accuracy. My scant quarter inch seam is as good or better than I have been sewing heretofore. I found these gauges to be aggravations before but it is a real asset on this machine.

The Janome 1600P is mostly marketed to professional sewists; however, if there are others out there like me, this will soon become the darling of the vast "I am a quilter. Don't talk to me about garments or embroidery." market. Keep your old machines, buy this one and piece like the wind!

I must add just one con to these many pros. I am headed for a retreat in two weeks and I am DYING to take this baby with me. She weighs in at 37 pounds; really heavy duty! But I just may take her anyway because I want to make all my retreat buddies JEALOUS!

Last edited by mhollifiel; 10-13-2017 at 06:07 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:57 AM

I have not sewn on the Janome 1600P but I have sewn on the Janome Memory Craft 6300P and it was one of the first machines that I really loved. It felt like a really powerful machine and I felt like it could do everything that I wanted it to. Unfortunately it was out of my price range.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by SewingMunchkin View Post
How well does the sparrow 30 handle bulkier fabric?
I haven't done much more than piecing and paper piecing (that's why I liked the thread cutter). If I get it done soon, I'll be using the walking foot to quilt a baby blanket and I'll let you know if I run into any problems. But even my Viking has had trouble with bulky fabric i.e. jeans, so I use the little tool (jeanamajig) you can get that boosts up the back of the foot and haven't had many issues as long as I use that. One other thing about the Sparrow, if my research was correct, Eversewn is like a cousin brand to the Bernina.

I know Onebyone suggested Amazon, but I would still recommend you buy local since many not only offer training if you want it but some offer free service (I got 2 years on mine, no extra charge) and it was the same price as Amazon. Besides we need to do what we can to keep the LQS's in business...sorry I'll jump off my soapbox!
Old 10-13-2017, 04:56 PM

I'm a Pfaff girl so I will vote for Pfaff. They are wonderful machines, real work horses. I have had a Pfaff for almost 25 years and never done anything with it except for regular maintainence. I kept that machine and bought a 2144 model. Loved it!!! Then I traded it for a Creative Sensation Pro. I am amazed at the things this machine can do. You won't go wrong with Pfaff.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:01 PM

if you are looking for a straight stitch only machine that is capable of handling bulky materials in the $800 or less price range, look at the Brother PQ1500s and the Juki2000qi. Also the Juki2010q has recently dropped in price and can sometimes be found online in the $800-900 range.

Rob