View Single Post
Old 02-03-2018, 06:58 AM
paintmejudy

Default Let's get started!

You will make 12 4-patch that measure 4.5” square after pressing. Use bright, medium and medium dark, dark, some stripes if you want, a big variety of colors and prints. I avoided solids – next clue will explain why. I used small to medium prints.

Make 48 4-patch using medium, medium dark and dark, along with assorted neutrals – these blocks will require the cutting of 96 of the colored and 96 of the neutral, all measuring 2.5” square.

I used my already-cut 2.5” squares for the colored pieces, and cut from my neutral scraps for the light. All of these were 2.5” and I needed to move my needle a bit to the right to get the perfect size block of 4.5”.

Since everyone knows how to make a 4-patch., the directions today will be sparse. Cut the strips in 2.5” widths, then into 2.5" squares. Sew in pairs and then sew the pairs together as I showed in the picture. I spun my seams, as I learned from Bonnie Hunter. It is all explained in her video, and depends on how you treat the center and how you press. I showed you how I pressed, she will tell you the little trick involved. Google her if you are unfamiliar with this, and want to do this. Her method makes a much flatter seam without the big bump in the center. Press. Trim as needed to make the blocks 4.5” square. Some of my 2.5” squares weren’t true to size and many needed just a little bit trimmed off.

Important: These must measure 4.5” square after pressing

So, easy peasy. Lots of 4-patch blocks but I know you are all up to the challenge. Will be back later this afternoon to see what is coming out of your sewing space. I’m off to a Quilt of Valor sewing day at a local quilt shop, leaving in about 90 minutes, but will check and see if any questions before I go.
Attached Thumbnails week-2-.jpg   week-2-b.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-05-2018 at 03:43 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps