View Single Post
Old 02-18-2010, 09:46 AM
weezie

Almost everywhere! Right in this room, next to my computer is my Janome 11000, on which I do embroidery and piece quilts. I keep all my machine embroidery stuff in here and all our ironing/pressing equipment. And the bed I sleep in. As my husband's physical pain and disabilities progressed, I gave up my half of our king-sized bed at the other end of the house, but the master bath there is still "mine" as is half the closet and drawer space. That allows me storage space in this room for thread & notions, etc.

In the basement are 2 small former bedrooms, one is his office and one has my cutting table, fabric & batting storage, 2 sewing machines and a serger. (I use these machines when I need to by setting them up on one end of my cutting table.) Another basement room, a large one, has my Grace frame and mid-arm machine set up in it. (The furnishings and other equipment in there belong to other family members, but the room is big enough for us to share.) All 3 basement rooms are cold in the winter, so I don't get much done there in cold weather.

For part of the year, I use my cutting table to lay out a quilt and hand-quilt long straight lines that I've marked with painters' tape. For the rest of the year, I keep the quilt upstairs in my dining room (on a quilt rack). There I hand quilt the small areas, usually by draping the quilt over the back of a dining room chair, which is very convenient because I can work all around it without having to move it. I also do a lot of hand quilting and all my binding handwork while sitting on my bed. (I own wooden frame ends and 10' poles that I used to hand quilt on, but I hated the process, so I dismantled it; now I have a lot more control so get more done with nicer stitching.)

Once the quilt I'm hand quilting is off my cutting table, it's time to cut all the pieces for my next quilt. (I have plenty of time to plan the quilt and assemble all the fabrics while my cutting table is being used as a "quilt frame".)