Old 12-11-2018, 05:29 AM
JENNR8R

I was curious about the cult following of Instant Pot users. My son was one of them. For a long time I talked myself out of buying one because who needs another cooking utensil? But it was on sale... my downfall.

I bought the 6 quart because most of the recipes I read are for that size. Also, I like to cook once and not have to cook again for a while. I think the flavor of foods cooked in it are better. I never liked the taste of slow cooker meals.

It was not intuitive to use at the beginning. I called my son for advice quite a few times for instructions. Once I learned how, it's not hard.

One of the things that I found interesting is that I cannot hear the tone very well that it makes when the cooking is complete. I found this out when I was on the phone with my son talking about it, and he said it was finished. I was puzzled because I couldn't hear anything. When I strained to hear, I heard a faint beeping. He could hear it loudly on the speakerphone from across the room. I have some high-frequency hearing loss, and that beep is it. This does not ruin the food. I just have to look at the screen to see if it is finished cooking yet.

I'm not a cult follower but it has introduced me to some new recipes. I was kinda bored with the "same old - same old" foods that I was making. I probably wouldn't buy it again, but I don't hate it. I use it quite a bit. I definitely wouldn't buy the 3-quart.