Old 11-15-2019, 01:27 PM
clkonch

I know this is an old thread, but I am going to try....
I have a LA and have used two layers of batting before. As others say, it makes the quilting stand out but does make it a heavier quilt with less "drapability." The quilt that I used two layers of batting on was made of flannel and backed with flannel. I put the cotton batting on the bottom and the wool batting on the top. It was for my husband who loved the warmth. He now wants THREE layers of batting for a quilt I am making him -- cotton, wool, cotton. He wants it for the warmth to use at his hunting camp in the winter. Has anyone ever tried three layers? I am sure I will have to play around with the tension some but I am concerned that the quilt will seem like a huge potholder with very little draping and may ultimately not even keep him warm! This quilt is make out of traditional quilting cotton. I fully intend to try quilting a little sample first but that won't give me the real picture of the "drapability" of the quilt -- finished size should be about 72x89 inches. It is a really nice quilt and I hate to ruin it!

Thanks so much for any insight that any of you have.