View Single Post
Old 12-21-2019, 06:49 AM
Iceblossom

That's part of the reason why I'm moving slowly with this step, Ilovetoquilt, these hand dyes each have a usable side, sometimes I'll use the up of one side with the down of the other just to get the colors to match a bit more closely!

I'm about half done, have some comments about cutting/trimming/rulers before I go back to it.

First off -- best idea of the day, I changed the blades on both my rotary cutters. The one started yesterday with just a tick of a missed thread here and there and just got worse as the day progressed until I was muttering to myself and shredding fabric. I am slicing and dicing with ease today!

About my trimming ruler, I've been using a small square, I'm wondering if maybe I shouldn't go up to a 6" square just to fit my hands better but instead this morning I found an even smaller square but with clearer lines for me and I've gotten it working just lovely.

I did my double line of masking seam tape at the appropriate spot and then I went to look to see if I could find my sandpaper dots. The answer was no, but I solved my problem which was the teeter-toter effect of the seam in the middle of the HST. I went to the medicine chest and pulled out a clear small finger cut sized bandage, cut it in half and put one on either side of my diagonal and no more wobbles plus more traction! (you want to have the dots about 1/2" from either side of the diagonal, approx halfway down the square for the best results)

I have a variety of vision issues and often use tape on my rulers, especially when I'm doing repeated cuts so I don't have to read the markers. Improves my accuracy greatly. I also tend to sew large and trim down. Below is a picture from another project so no give-aways on this one. For the picture I took pre-cut squares that varied between 6-6.5", sliced them on the diagonal and then made a 7.5" block; ie, not a standard size for rulers. You can see I used the diagonal line on the ruler to help me.

Doing a similar thing for this project, I have the tape at the straight outside edge of the desired finished measurement, and I'm using the diagonal to guide me for my finished size.

Edit: In this picture I was mostly marking that 7.5" size, that's where the tape goes side to side. I always put my tape on the down side of the line, that's just a preference.

In the Frolic project since I'm using it to help stabilize my cuts, the double thickness of tape is on the bottom of the ruler, along with those bandage dots.
Attached Thumbnails 100_5216.jpg  

Last edited by Iceblossom; 12-21-2019 at 06:52 AM.