Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

She's up! Since a thread hasn't started yet, I thought I would begin. NZQuilter mentioned it on last years blog. Quiltville.com. I'm not the best to start a thread, since I can't figure out how to attach a link but this year's is looking good. Off to Lowe's for paint chips.

just saying, this is the 2019 mystery.

Oops, you are so right. If I can figure out how to change that to 2019-2020, I will.

I'm in! "Frolic" is a great name for this adventure in the Mystery Quilt.

https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2019...ntro.html#more

I think this is the link: https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2019...ery-intro.html
    Looks like the mystery this year is called "Frolic". The first clue is supposed to come out Nov. 29th. The above link should take you to the introduction. Can't wait to see things as they progress!
    Last edited by UtahQuiltNut; 10-31-2019 at 09:43 AM. Reason: adding information

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the heads up. I’m thinking about participating this year. What has been the difficulty level of her mysteries in years past?
    “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

I find her process very simple. Lots of redundancy after the technique is mastered. So for me, time to get it all done is the biggest difficulty -- I've never finished one of her mysteries. But I am great at collecting the fabrics to do the project and practicing the methods. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by PamelaOry View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I’m thinking about participating this year. What has been the difficulty level of her mysteries in years past?
    I have only participated in one of Bonnie Hunter’s Mystery quilt’s but have to say I found her directions very clear. When appropriate she demonstrated more than one way and if memory serves the people here occasionally gave another method or two. I learned so much and her “extra” triangle technique is something I use every time I quilt. I have a huge stack of extra half triangle squares to put together into something from fabric that might have been eventually thrown away.

That said I am in. Really happy with the colors this year so will stick close to her choices. Oddly they are close to the colors I had decided that I wanted to use no matter what the pattern called for. I definitely need to buy as my stash just isn’t that huge in those colors as I tend to use them the most!

Quote Originally Posted by PamelaOry View Post
    What has been the difficulty level of her mysteries in years past?
    "generally" 2.5" 2" and 1.5" pieces are the norm, but she said today this will be an easy one as she will be traveling and not available to give quick answers.. based on that maybe 5" down to 2.5" pieces? Just a guess.

Even being a quilter since time began and long term serious about accuracy, I have always learned something and become an increasingly better quilter since doing the mysteries. My first was 2011.

Power Poster
    ​I really like the colours this year.

Thanks for getting the thread started for this years mystery quilt. I'm in for another year. My first one was 2012 with Celtic Solstice. I didn't make that one until this year though. Funny thing about this years, she's based it on her trip to Texas earlier this year. Guess what, I remember it well, I live right down the way from where the pictures were taken!

Thanks for starting the thread, toverly!

I think the palette is fascinating. I'm hoping I can find these colors in my stash. I think they will have to be more subdued versions.

Quote Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
    just saying, this is the 2019 mystery.
    Someone posted a photo of the Bonnie mystery mugs on her Facebook page; I noticed they are dated with the year the mystery ends, rather than the year it begins. The Good Fortune mug is labeled Mystery XIV January 2019.
    Lisa

Yaaaay I'm in! I'm not even messing with the color choices this time! I love the combination as it is!

Good Fortune was the first mystery quilt that was actually still a mystery for me. I stumbled on Celtic Solstice, On Ringo Lake, and Grand Illusion after the fact. I've completed the top for On Ringo Lake and I have Grand Illusion cut out in preparation for a retreat soon. I haven't settled on colors for Celtic Solstice or else I'd have that one cut too.

The patterns aren't overly difficult, but there are little pieces. I work full time and did a bit of each Good Fortune clue as they came out, but I didn't finish until maybe February or March. There are people with quilts all bound up and done the day after the reveal, but that will never be me and I'm fine with that.

I'm so looking forward to sewing this years mystery and seeing everyone else's work! I absolutely despise winter. This is one of the things I look forward to to get through it. Yay for mystery season!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-01-2019 at 07:48 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Yes! I am in and have got my paint chips already. I love these colors!
    Sandra

I love the colors for this mystery, Frolic. I know I won't be able to keep up this year, since I'm back working. A little bit here and there, it will eventually get done.

Blog Entries
    The colors are really nice! I can't wait to see what Bonnie has in store! I'll be downloading each clue but I don't think I can join in right now. I have Christmas quilts to finish.
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

I am in as well, Bonnie plans to change it up a bit this time according to hints she gave the recent travelers on her trip to Kenya. The units will be grouped as sets this time whatever that means. At any rate, I've nearly got all my fabrics gathered and I'm sticking with her colors except for the fuchia. Mine will be more of a reddish-coral.
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

I am in on this one. I like Bonnie and her information. I've looked before but I'm jumping in this time. Also, have spent several winters in Texas and loved seeing the spring flowers on our way home, so more motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond View Post
    I am in as well, Bonnie plans to change it up a bit this time according to hints she gave the recent travelers on her trip to Kenya. The units will be grouped as sets this time whatever that means.
    I enjoy doing the matched sets. In Allietare, it meant we paired one neutral with one red for each alternate block. In En Provence, it meant using the same yellow for all four yellow squares in the block. This time it sounds like we will be pairing dark blues with light blues.
    Lisa

Thank you! whoever corrected the dates. I hope I can post the following, the information obtained really helped me rethink the Mystery colors. We had a guest lecturer at our Guild meeting, Marilyn Rose. We got to talking about Bonnie Hunter's Mystery. She does it too. I mentioned that I would love to have the courage to change the colors. She referred me to a website, Stringandstory.com by Holly Knight. Holly has you tube videos on color theory and how to change the colors of some of the past Mysteries. Of course, there is not one on this one but it was interesting watching. Hope it helps some of y'all that might be like me. I don't have a whole lot of these colors so will probably be changing.

Here is what I pulled from stash. The floral is 5 yards that I can use for backing, so I changed the fuschia color to the reddish-corals. My aquas are the ones in the middle - they are light but if I am careful in choosing my neutrals I think they will be ok.
    Name:  20191031_183407 (1).jpg
Views: 1689
Size:  371.1 KB
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

So pretty, QV! Bonnie made a point of saying stay light with the aqua, so those should be perfect. My aquas are also very light.

Thanks for the link, toverly! Going now to check it out.
    Lisa

I love the colors and plan to join in again, though I may not get started until after the reveal. I always learn a great deal both from Bonnie and all the ladies on this site.

Hi! I will be following along. I may make some of each clue. However, my priority after Thanksgiving is to start some things for my first grandchild due in February.
    Connie

Blog Entries
    Thanks for starting this thread, toverly. I intend to participate again this year, but I'm not sure if I will stick to Bonnie's color choices. Blue is my favorite color, but for some reason I rarely use it in quilts. There is a lot of it in my stash, so maybe I will use her palette. I do like the addition of the fuchsia. I think I've used that in 2 of her mysteries already, so that may require some shopping!

Leslie

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast