Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

I did the math like Holly Knight suggested. It is as follows. It's a total of 13 yards which breaks down into: 31% neutrals, 19% navy, 17% purple (so 3 dominate colors for 67% of the quilt). Equal parts of aqua amd green at 11.5% each and a splash of medium blue at 10% ( 3 accent colors for the remaining 33%). I am not a math person but this sure helps me. Hope it helps someone else too.

Blog Entries
    I'm in too. My stash only needs the raspberry. I'm taking her Smith Mountain Morning class at Shipshewana in about a week. Oh happy day. I've waited about 3 or 4 years to get in. I just missed it last time she was here. So I decided to practice the Smith Mountain Morning. I'll do the 4th one in class and it will be tarnished gold and green. I hope anyone on this board who is taking the class will let me know who they are. I already know two.

I usually don't do things like this much any more but I have all the fabric in my stash... debating going along for the ride or not.

Maybe I'll try convincing one of the ladies in my sewing group that she needs to do this too! She's already doing a block a week thing, along with her quilt guild monthly thing.
    Quilters: Advanced tool using humans.

Blog Entries
    I do love the look of the mysteries and love quilts that are scrappy. I have never done a mystery, because for some reason I have to wrap my brain around the finished project before I can proceed with any steps. However, it would be a way of thinking differently for me and probably a good learning experience. How time consuming is this quilt on a weekly basis? Also, there is only one quilt store near where I live. How do you all get that scrappy look if you don't have the stash. Many online companies require buying 1yd increments, which I really don't like to always be doing.
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

You would want to see the directions for cutting I would think before deciding. You can do the project as "planned" if you wish. Checking out the first link was really interesting, the paint chip idea is pretty cool but I really liked seeing her clumps of colors. And we don't have to limit ourselves to her colors, I think that's part of the fun of mystery quilts is seeing what the various people do and their interpretations of the theme.

One way to add fabrics is by precuts, finding a layer cake or fat quarter collection that speaks to you. You never know quite what you are going to get (which for me is part of the fun!) but I've gotten several Scrap Packs from eQuilter, it's a 1 pound bundle of bolt ends, some of which are maybe a bit skewed but never tiny strips.
    https://www.equilter.com/category/38...se-scrap-packs
    Quilters: Advanced tool using humans.

Grace, doing scrappy is the result of having stash and recognizing I have to use it I'd love to go out and buy the fabrics this year but I work from what I have and the only thing I have enough of is the dark blues. So I'll be changing out colors to what I have, it will still be pretty. I'll be doing half size, as a bed runner/couch quilt size. I don't need any more big quilts.

Shortly there will be links here to shops that have bundled the colors or the quilt, you can get them all in one swoop if you desire.

There is maybe a days worth of cutting sewing in each clue. The crush comes at the reveal and the time it takes to put it all together. That is done according to our own speed. Weeks or years, doesn't matter. The first year I participated I thought that first week, "is this all there is to it?" so I cut a second wad of strips in another color group. Mistake...

The cutting was what I always hated about making quilts, but learning how efficiently Bonnie does it make it not drudgery but a pleasure.

Using the easy angle rulers was a quiltmaking changer, no more +1/8" measurements. If you need to make 2.5" half square triangles, you cut 2.5" strips, and use the ruler to add the difference to make them come out perfect every time, no trimming down which is an exercise that doubles the time to make a quilt. As my FIL says, work smarter, not harder.

Two of the online stores that I know of, whittlesfabrics.com and quiltedtwins.com, can be counted on to put together bundles specific to the Bonnie Hunter mysteries if you do not already have enough in your stash.

Grace creates, it's definitely a great learning experience! Doing the mysteries has helped me in two ways: I've learned easier ways of making units, and working with a large number of smaller pieces has helped improve my piecing skills through sheer repetition.

I guess how time-consuming it is depends on how fast a piecer you are. I'm slow so it's quite time-consuming for me. The mysteries usually involve smaller pieces with a lot of units to make. But it isn't necessary to keep pace with the mystery week by week. I think most of us end up finishing our top several weeks or months into the year. The main thing is to complete some of each clue each week so as to get the hang of how to make the unit.

I also have to shop exclusively on-line. Three of my favorite shops that sell 1/2 yd. are Fat Quarter Shop, Thread Bear Fabrics and Shabby Fabrics. Below are some of the shops I've found that will sell either a FQ or 1/4 yd. (Fabric Shack will even cut 1/8 of a yard, or they used to). :

Fabric Shack
    https://fabricshack.com/cgi-bin/Store/store.cgi

Carolina Cotton Co.
    https://www.carolinacottoncompany.com/shop.htm

Crazy Redhead Quilting
    http://www.crazyredheadquilting.com/...htm?checkout=3

Feed Mill Fabric and Quilting
    https://www.feedmillfabricandquilting.com/shop.htm

Ladyfingers
    https://www.ladyfingerssewing.com/

L'il Red Hen
    https://www.lilredhenquiltshop.com/shop.htm

The Little Red Hen
    https://thelittleredhenonline.com/products

Mountain Creek Quilt Shop
    https://www.mountaincreekquilters.com/shop.htm

Olive Juice Quilts
    https://www.olivejuicequilts.com/shop-online.htm

Prairie Point Junction
    https://prairiepointjunction.com/

Rossville Quilts
    https://www.rossvillequilts.com/
    Lisa

I am joining in this year again. I have made all her mysteries except Celtic Solstice. Well except the quilting part of Grand Illusion. It has sat as a UFO because it is a big quilt and I do my own quilting on DSM. I have loved them all and have learned so much from working on her mystery quilts. She is very good with her instructions and helpful methods. I went to Lowes yesterday and got the paint chips as I intend to use her colors. Not sure how much I will have to buy to supplement what I can pull from my stash.
    I would love to take one of her classes.

Blog Entries
    Whittles Fabrics is carried Frolic fabric FQ bundles specifically for the Mystery Quilt. https://www.whittlesfabrics.com/search/?q=Bonnie+hunter . Quilted Twins.com usually puts together bundles of MQ color fabric too, but so far I haven't seen it on their webpage.

Did Bonnie hint somewhere that thus will be an easier mystery? Maybe if I finish my Christmas quilts before Thanksgiving... I do love all things blue!
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ibex94 View Post
    Two of the online stores that I know of, whittlesfabrics.com and quiltedtwins.com, can be counted on to put together bundles specific to the Bonnie Hunter mysteries if you do not already have enough in your stash.
    Oops, just saw your post too! I guess I should read the whole thread before I post.
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

some of the etsy sellers have bundles up now also.
    I got my paint chips, the colors are much prettier in person than on the monitor.

And please remember Bonnie has asked us Not to take a hand full of chips to pass on, which leaves the locals without any there are other sources (dmc numbers comes to mind) for color clues.

I'll be joining in. Not sure what colors I'll pick, but it won't be what is listed. I've found that Bonnie and I have different color preferences and I've yet to make a mystery where I liked the end result if I stuck with the provided colors. However I've never had a problem finding a home for any of them.

Gives me an excuse to play in my stash for a day!
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Blog Entries
    Got my paint chips today and had fun pulling some fabrics out of stash. This is the first time I’ve tried to pull matching colors together like this using paint chips. How did I do?
    Name:  BCABE00F-D3C1-41F1-87E4-9EBD35F5AA10.jpeg
Views: 522
Size:  133.8 KB
    “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

I think I may try this one! I have not done any of her quilts yet, but I do have several of her patterns. I’m going to go though all my bins of scrap fabric and see what I come up with, I ran into Lowe’s while running errands and grabbed my chips. I have a bazillion rulers so I think I’ll make do with what I have rather than adding another to add to the mix. At least yard work won’t take time away from sewing!
    Lisa

Thanks for getting us started!
    Sew much to do in sew little time!

Can someone tell me simply what the mystery quilt involves. I have never done or participated in something like this. It does sound interesting but all of you know what you are talking about. Thanks

In any mystery quilt you never know what the final result will be until you already have it cut and many of the units stitched together. Bonnies are not simple, but are usually two blocks combined that make a flow through pattern.

Some are very simple, where you might just end up with 12 churn dashes or whatever block pattern then just sew them together. Those might be done over a day or three. Bonnies starts stitching the end of November, you get a clue every Friday, and it ends when she shows the reveal of her finished quilt. A few times they have gone into mid January, last few years they've ended on New Years day.

a Google image search for Bonnie's mystery quilts gives you an idea of what we've made in the past.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=bonn...w=1364&bih=611
    Bonnie is a scrappy quilter so if she is using a dark blue as one of the colors she will be using 20+ dark blues.
    You can use just one blue, your choice. Or change the colors completely.

in the first or second post of this thread you'll have the link to her site with the fabric amounts needs.

NZquilter, I hope it works out that you can join in! I think what Bonnie said was that she'd be away during one of the clues, and that clue would probably be easier because she wouldn't be here to field questions.

I lucked out with the palette this year, as I could not be spending a lot on fabric and dark blues are my most plentiful group.

Quote Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
    I got my paint chips, the colors are much prettier in person than on the monitor.
    I suppose it's just as well that I did not have the chips this year, as I then would likely be disappointed with my subdued versions of the colors. This is the closest I've ever come to doing a Bonnie mystery from stash. I've ordered a few pieces of aqua and a constant green (I hope it works out; you never know when choosing by computer). My medium blues are very muted (except for that batik scrap), so I hope that won't be a problem. Do you think I should remove those two darker reds?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by mopec View Post
    Can someone tell me simply what the mystery quilt involves. I have never done or participated in something like this. It does sound interesting but all of you know what you are talking about. Thanks
    Bonnie will post one clue per week, starting on Black Friday. A clue consists of detailed directions for making a unit. There hasn't been anything overly difficult in the years I've been doing the mystery; I would say the challenge of Bonnie's quilts is in the number of something we're required to make, as her quilts tend to have lots of small pieces. Not everyone can keep up with the mystery schedule, and that's fine. We all finish at our own pace. Bonnie suggests that if you haven't finished one week's clue, go on to the next with everyone else so you can get the hang of making the unit.

It's such fun to share progress and see everyone's units. Bonnie also has a Facebook page, 'Quiltville's Open Studio,' where the sharing goes on.
    Lisa

Last night I reread Bonnie’s opening post and she mentioned that this quilt could be done with single fabrics in each color. My stash realistically gets me halfway to enough fabric so I need to buy. I am starting to contemplate making it out of one fabric that I love in each shade. She also mentions using a very pale pink in the background which I would possibly prefer.

Mumto2, I made last year's out of blender fabrics and loved the look. It was the first time I actually purchased fabrics for the Mystery. The only place it threw me off was one color, orange. Bonnie required strings being made out of several oranges and I just cut one rectangle in one color. The look was great but oh, the extra orange fabric I had left over. Luckily, I live in FL where orange is everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
    I'm in too. My stash only needs the raspberry. I'm taking her Smith Mountain Morning class at Shipshewana in about a week. Oh happy day. I've waited about 3 or 4 years to get in. I just missed it last time she was here. So I decided to practice the Smith Mountain Morning. I'll do the 4th one in class and it will be tarnished gold and green. I hope anyone on this board who is taking the class will let me know who they are. I already know two.
    I will be taking that class too! I’m taking the classes on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and can’t wait!

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    Quilted Twins has a kit for the entire quilt online, as does one etsy store. But my stash has enough. Some 2” strips, some 2.5” strips, some 10” squares, and some pieces under 1/4 yard. Ya think I just might have too much fabric? Might need a little more green; we will see.

mopec, we also share fabric choices trade tips or alternate construction. About midDec, people start guessing how the final quilt will look. It is a lot of fun.
    Last edited by Krisb; 11-01-2019 at 08:08 PM.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

Blog Entries
    That makes three of us QBoarders in BH's Ship classes. We must do lunch! I'm local and I know where all the quilt shops are in the area. Search on this board for "Legendary Tour". Its a write up of QV and my tour of 13 shops.

Since I already take Parkinsons meds and have cut off a good portion of my left index finger with a rotary cutter, I will be cutting everything on the accuquilt. I hope she will tell me which die I need. She did make a comment that if she were to reveal the accuquilt die to be used for the mystery, it would give it away. I'm not really safe with a secret, but I sure hope I already have the die.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast