View Single Post
Old 01-03-2020, 05:42 PM
The Quilted Cottage

Talking

Like petthefabric, my home is located in a designated high fire risk area. I had my home built almost 30 years ago and it wasn't until the fire 3 years ago last summer that my home was given this designation. Just mentioning that because there may be some that wonder why I would build here. Designations can change over time and for various reasons. Some of you who never experienced flooding or tornadoes in your area but now do will understand.

I have had to be ready to evacuate several times over the years, and did actually have to leave when the last fire occurred 3 years ago. But I was ready. My home has an all purpose room located right before I exit into my garage. This is where I keep the cat carriers, pet food, emergency food and water, important papers and receipts, MacBook, and a few other emergency supplies. In addition, I always keep a backpack in my car with extra clothes, water, food and emergency supplies. We have earthquakes too!

The cats got "packed" first. Then the rest. I did take a few extra clothes because I was told it might be a few days before I could return. And one painting I painted years ago which I love. But I had time for this. If not, it would have only been the cats and myself. I take new pictures and a video every year of the interior and exterior of my home, which will help if anything does happen and I needed proof of loss for insurance purposes. My attitude is everything can be replaced. It's just stuff.

One thing I will add, I am an organized and tidy person. I can't imagine what it would be like to have to evacuate if I were not. There just is no time to be running around a house, up and down stairs, trying to locate things you might need. Herding cats is bad enough and I have 3! Lol!