View Single Post
Old 01-25-2020, 09:32 AM
Iceblossom

It's so nice to hear the positive comments about the hand-dyes. Personally, I feel that my attachment to this bag of "cheap" fabric is a bit obsessive and puts me into the crazy lady category!

So today I figured I check out the piece of fabric I wanted to use for the binding. Boiled up my pot of water and as soon as I put the piece under the running sink water it looked like I was bleeding! After a few choice words and maybe a couple of kicking fits later, I decided I might as well bow to the inevitable and stabilize more of that bag of dye. What I have in the wash now I probably should have broken into two days, and then I will have one last small/reasonable day of the lightest fabrics to stabilize. The binding fabric has come out of the vinegar/salt bath and the microwave boil well, I think just the final bath with the stabilizer.

I've sewn a few more blocks and a lot more thinking and playing with them. For those that are looking for ways to change their blocks, that same piece of sashing I'm replacing can have a big effect using relatively little fabric. You can try using more of that favorite fabric that didn't get used, or maybe a zippy contrast of a signature fabric color. For those that used neutrals, black can make a dot-dash pattern.

If you used the same Parakeet and have more of it left, I don't have a good picture but using it for the sashing piece would make sort of "clamps:" and the neutral squares would be sort of like a cogwheel...

So here's a horizontal set of my blocks using black and dark colors for the background. I'm still planning on setting on point using the "Parakeet" but I think this looks pretty good. Once again, even though the pictures may say different, there is no black and no solids in my fabrics!

Attached Thumbnails 100_5512.jpg