View Single Post
Old 01-30-2020, 04:01 AM
Iceblossom

I'm up in the middle of the night again and about to embark on an estimated 2 hours of pressing which might be enough to send me back to bed. Maybe it will be less, I can't imagine it more. I have all my sashing pieced now and those border units.

I'm using the same piece for all my sashing cornerstones, it's a darker tone of the mossy green I've redefined as my Parakeet. There is a lot of variation in it, it will fit in tonally with my medium colors I used for blue, but be slightly different because of the grayish tone of the green, I did use more forest and jade tones in my dark/medium blue group. Anyway, I'm a pinner and for many good reasons. Since I'm able to use a strip and not individual blocks, and these sashing units are so narrow I don't need pins I thought -- I sewed a red/neutral unit/space all along the length of the strip. I put on exactly the first 2 correctly and the rest (one for each block) was upside down. Argh! I would have caught it pinning.

It's why I do prefer assembly line style assembly, although it does leave me open to the very real possibility of doing every single seam or cut or whatever wrong (which does happen but not often), it also lets me catch the "ones not like the others" which do happen often by the way I consistently place and stack my units. I can tell right away if the front is correct, and then I put together about 4-5 of whatever unit I'm working on, flip them over, and then put them into the done piles. I do prefer to count them up as units as I go, again easier for me to catch a mistake when I have 6 stacks of 12 rather than a pile of 72.

I'm going to go grab that last small handful of hand dyes that need fixing, maybe I can get a picture of the completed stack later today or tomorrow. I still see the first quilt I saw in the bag, this Frolic mostly used the brighter colors. And then last night I think I saw the third quilt in the bag, some contrasting dark radiating hand dyes in a Lonestar with a dark background, there are some really great purples.

I've also chosen a correspondingly bright fabric for the back of Frolic... there will be no dark side!

Last edited by Iceblossom; 01-30-2020 at 04:05 AM.