View Single Post
Old 02-04-2020, 09:34 AM
QuiltingLawyer

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Thanks, Iceblossom. Yes, this was my first BH anything.
I'm finding the assembly tedious/boring. Maybe it's just me or the time of year, I don't know.
I don't usually make anything this detailed with a zillion pieces.
However, I'm not sorry I made it.
I'm going to stay with it and to "reward" myself send it to a longarmer to quilt it.
I know I'm going to have leftovers so I may do a scrappy binding. Not sure yet. Also not
sure how I'm going to do the borders. Not going to worry about that today.
Bonnie Hunter quilts are a special sort of thing. The are a million little pieces and usually come out looking beautiful. But they are really fiddly and very tedious. They are the same small thing over and over. I have put this project in time out for right now. As much as I actually love the final look of the 5 blocks that I have finished I do not have the patience to be this repetitive right now. My biggest issue right now is that even though I checked and checked each of my sub-units is just a smidge to big making the overall block a almost a half inch to big.

So I'm going to need to make each of the sub units of the overall 9 patch (That's how I think about it in my head) and trim them to size so I don't lose my points. This on it's own wouldn't be a big issue..... but the fact that I can only do one block at a time is what makes me want to pull my hair out. If I could just chain piece everything and then press and trim it would be better for me personally. But you can't because of the matching sets.

The whole thing is much more time consuming because I can only do one block at a time. So this quilt is in time out for right now. In the mean time I've made a ton of progress on a cross stitch that I've been working on for over a year LOL!!!