View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 04:56 PM
bstanbro

I thought long and hard about this when I learned to quilt two years ago. I was told that it would be very difficult to machine quilt a bed-sized quilt, and in my sewing space, it definitely would be. I was a little disappointed because I didn't feel as if I would enjoy quilting as much if someone else did the quilting. I can't remember what changed my mind, but I did make a decision to send my large quilts out to a laq, and I have never looked back. I love choosing the fabrics, touching the fabrics, piecing the fabrics . . . but I'm not very artistic, and so I doubt that I would enjoy the quilting. I am fortunate to be able to afford a laq, but if I wasn't, I would tie them.

So, in answer to your question: bed-sized quilts go to the laq or else I tie them--especially flannel, I tie. Smaller quilts are done by me at home. I feel as if I have the best of both worlds, and it frees me up to quilt away. There is nothing I would rather do.

I suppose there are those who would object to my use of the words "quilt" and "quilting" since technically it is incorrect. To them I say, "get over yourself."