View Single Post
Old 10-28-2020, 07:55 PM
Krisb

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan
Default Preliminary October count

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 View Post
Wahoo! Another top finished! 20 more blocks from my UFO which was Summer Moon by Carrie Nelson. The remaining 4 blocks will go into a scrappy quilt top.
Congratulations on choosing fabrics for alternate blocks that make the sampler blocks just all fit together.

And Connie has another; another home for orphan blocks. 🎖Special award for using orphan blocks

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 View Post
Another UFO top finished! Wahoo! I even made a backing from fabric that was purchased maybe 10 years ago at a garage sale for only a few dollars.

On the bottom rows, I used the last 4 of my 72 blocks from the UFO Summer Moon. The Dresden blocks were in a church quilting donation as was the handquilted basket block. I framed them to add some color to the quilt top. The colorful strips were orphan strips and the 6” blocks, cut by my church group, have resided in my house for many years waiting to be used. The green chevron fabric is the only fabric from my personally owned stash in the top.

I found out today that my church group met yesterday and can now meet on Tuesday mornings again. I will be happy to join them in November and even more happy to give them all of the tops I have finished. I also have 2 big rolls of batting for the group. It will be nice to say farewell to the quilts and batting. 😀
Rob has ended the dry spell with a project that touches my heart. My Mom loved a kitchen rooster or ten

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Well, after a long dry spell, I have finally finished some UFOs. 4 placemats that have been cut out but not put together for the past 2 years. Yay!
Rob
Sync reports what she thinks is an unacceptably old UFO.
Originally Posted by Sync View Post
my hubby is finally getting his quilt for this winter, <hanging head> it has only taken me 6 years to complete it. The appliqué blocks started as something to do while watching NASCAR races on Sundays. Then hubby noticed and asked who I was making the quilt for and I answered no one. Well, he then claimed those blocks to be for his quilt. My hubby has waited very patiently for this to be done.
You may feel guilty about the length of time, but my oldest UFO was begun in 1994 and finished in 2018. It was moved at least twice. There are also the wedding quilts completed after the birth if the 1st child, the baby quilts finished for high school graduation. Any time is a good time to complete a UFO!🙋🏼👏

Panchita would never have had a quilt right there for DS’s birthday if it had been finished in 2012. She says,
I got one!
I completed a UFO that's been on the go since 2012. Reporting style a la Quossum.

Quilt Origin – I went to the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham, UK in the summer of 2012 and saw a trunk show done by Marti Michell. She had the most amazing quilt, done in gorgeous oriental fabrics, made out of hexagons with a sort of basketweave border making a secondary hexie pattern. So I trotted off to Ms. Michell’s booth straight after the trunk show ended and got me one of her huge hexagon templates. I was so proud. And enthusiastic

Why it became a UFO – What I neglected to do (purely because I didn’t think of it, so this was me being dumb rather than ornery) was purchase the *pattern* for the quilt. Up to that point in my quilting life I only really used traditional blocks, and was used to making up my own arrangements/patterns as I went along, and it genuinely did not occur to me that I needed anything more than the template.

I started sewing the hexies together in 2012. I finished sewing them together in August 2020.

I like to think that my piecing skills have improved between the start and the finish .

Why I finally finished – Pandemic-enabled fit of ‘Git ‘er done!’

Quilt's fate – Birthday present for my son when he turns 3 later this year (not that he was even a glimmer on the horizon when it was started, lol!!). But the perfect recipient.

Panchita, I just did the same thing, only I didn’t even buy the template/ruler! Instead, experimented with a set of interlocking hexie templates to do a QAYG GFG. But I’m not as smart as you—the hexies finish at 5”. And they are sewn together by hand. Which begs the question: if you know it will take months or years to finish, when does it become a UFO?

We have 8 so far in October, but there is (almost always) an end of month flurry. Tomorrow we get Zeta, Weather Channel says. A good day to make chili and sew bindings. Stay safe, everyone.

Last edited by Krisb; 10-28-2020 at 08:00 PM.