Old 12-22-2020, 09:13 AM
Stitchnripper
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I started quilting when I retired back in 2004. I didn't ever have any intention of doing it, but did watch Alex Anderson every morning before work. I never even told anyone I did that. When I retired, one of my sons said "now that you are retired you can make me a quilt". What??? I said, I don't quilt. And he said, now that you are retired you can learn. I have always sewed and did have (and still do) have the sewing machine I bought for myself in 1964. I really didn't give it another thought til a few weeks later I opened the local paper and saw "beginning quilting class". I took it as a sign! Went to the class and made some good friends and the rest is history. Now I quilt for my own pleasure. I have no deadlines, do what I like, and have given a few away. They will all get donated when I pass. I am not a big producer. I am liking FMQ lately so piecing is a means to get to that part. Not that I am an expert, but, I really like it. Quilting satisfies something in me, so I'll keep doing it til it doesn't.
since I wrote that, said son was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and died November 6, 2020. While he was sick he asked for a quilt and he was able to pick out the pattern and fabrics. He loved looking at it. He preferred to be covered with an Afghan I knitted for him before he got me into quilting. I can’t seem to make it into my quilting room. He was only in there once way before he got sick. Maybe because it was his idea for me to quilt. We are coming off 14 months of taking care of him and then his death. Life is off kilter right now. It will take time.