Thread: 1st FMQ Block
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2021, 07:32 PM
CaleyH

I thought I would pass on what I discovered . This isn't about free motion quilting. It's about quilting with templates.

As most of you know, plexiglass (acrylic) is very slippery, and needs something on the bottom to give it some grip. I tried Omnigrip on the template set I purchased for template quilting, but it just didn't have the grip on a three layer quilt. Does fine when used on rulers when you are cutting thin fabric.

I looked around the internet for something else, but just wasn't satisfied with what was offered. So I thought that maybe the 1/2 inch square hook portion of Velcro might work. I have lots of these little 1/2 inch squares of hook that I used for my astronomy needs. They are about 1/16 inch thick, and have a sticky side. I cut these little squares in four 1/4 inch squares, and applied them to one of my templates on all four corners.

I then placed the template on the quilt sandwich, and moved it around. The hook grips the fabric very well without any slipping, and doesn't harm the fabric. I ended up adding eight 1/4 inch square hooks to each of my templates, and am very happy with how they work.

These hook squares aren't any thicker than what came with one of the templates, which is a strip of rubbery something. Looks like a rubbery substance was applied to fabric, and the other side given some glue.

Just thought I would provide an alternative to all those expensive sheets of grippers that sometimes don't even work

Last edited by CaleyH; 02-11-2021 at 07:36 PM.