Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1st FMQ Block >

1st FMQ Block

1st FMQ Block

Old 12-09-2020, 04:48 PM

Default 1st FMQ Block

Title isn't completely true. I used this block once to try random FMQ, which was a total disaster. I plucked all the thread off for use in the future.

Today was the future for this block. One problem was i didn't map out the two circles, so they aren't centered. So I had to place the eight ovals off center also.

I tried setting my machine to zero, but my machine cannot be set that way. So I set it to .8. Then I adjusted the stitch speed to where I thought regular movement would get a fair stitch length when I mashed the pedal. Still need some adjustment on that.

I especially need to practise my curves, as I had some fairly jagged curves on the ovals. I seem to do better with bigger curves, but the little ones give me problems.

Overall, I think I will eventually get the hang of FMQing. It is just going to take time. I think my first big project will just have long wavy lines across it. I'll need to practise on my tiny details for some time before daring to put it on something I took so very long to piece together.

Anyway, here's the picture for you judgement.
Attached Thumbnails fmq1sttry.jpg  
Old 12-09-2020, 06:50 PM

Hi Caley, FMQ does take time and practice, as you said, but you can't get practice til you get started, so good for you! You might find it easier to begin with a meander stitch. That gives you lots of practice doing curves, and after a while it becomes second nature. From there it would be a natural progression to move into more complex patterns. You've done well to dive right in. Keep it up!
Old 12-09-2020, 06:51 PM

good for you! yes, practice will make a huge leap in ability. FYI--without using a ruler, circles are pretty hard to get very circular--I'd suggest maybe doing curves from "point" to "point of blocks. And smaller curves are much easier to keep even and steady than larger ones.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:14 PM
Power Poster

I got my ruler foot and circle rulers for doing circles. If you did yours free hand, you did well.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:38 PM

I found objects at in my house so that I could place them atop the quilt block, and use a heat erasable pen to mark the lines.

I seem to do better with the long slow curves than the small tight curves. I guess that's backwards.

As for freestyle squiggly curves, that is what I mentioned earlier as pure disaster. It's those tight little curves I cannot control
Old 12-09-2020, 10:02 PM

That looks pretty good for a beginner. By picking a quilting pattern that all the parts were the same, any small inconsistencies show up much clearly. That's why I like river type patterns, flowers and unique stars, trees and such. And I will NEVER be good at free hand work. In fact, I have a problem following a pantograph on a long arm. You are already ahead of me.
Old 12-10-2020, 08:33 AM

Not that bad. practice makes perfect, well better. i made a rag quilt and did large X's in each and then with my walking foot on, i put needle down in the center of the X's and turned the blocks slowly as i stitched going around and around about three times. looked great and each block was done! Love that word!
Keep on going. practice with paper too. It will get better.
Old 12-10-2020, 09:50 AM

Haven't done any more FMQing. I need to make some more practise squares. Also need to redo the surface my quilt (blocks) are
supposedly gliding on. I got a couple of those plastic snow slide sheets, but made the mistake of cutting a square opening for the metal plate atop the machine where the needle drops and the feed dogs reside. That's snagging things occasionally.

If I can get a surface that isn't fighting the motion I'm trying to make, then maybe things will improve a little.
Old 12-11-2020, 03:21 AM

You are off and running with your free-motion quilting...congrats!

I liked practicing on a Panel. You can outline the shapes in the panel or do an all over design, like loops (cursive L).
Having a larger practice piece helped me learn to move the quilt sandwich and get use to the moving the fabric to the speed of the needle going up and down. Also, put on music or podcast you like as you practice as it may help you relax. Have fun!
Old 12-19-2020, 10:00 AM

Since I don't like making lots of threads about the same subject, I will continue here with my 2nd FMQ block. I again drew a pattern on the quilt top with heat erasable ink. The pattern is a continuous eight point star, which I drew to the edge seam. Then I drew a second smaller star within the big star. That's why I call this a star in a star in a star.

Actually I don't think this is a free motion quilting. I used a walking foot, as it seems my quilt top wasn't thin enough for the foot to allow the sandwich to slide under at several seam intersections. This quilt block was one of my very first. The seams are bulky, and I cut away the 1/4 inch allowance around the block to make it the correct dimension. Didn't know what I was doing at the time. Guess that's why it is being used to experiment with quilting.

I'm still occasionally having a seam flip on me, without my knowing. But I am getting better, slooooowly.

Now I have to prepare another of my early experimental blocks to try another pattern. Hopefully my seams are flatter, and I can actually use the darning foot for actual FMQing.
Attached Thumbnails star-star-star-small.jpg