View Single Post
Old 02-16-2021, 02:17 PM
mindless

Be careful here. I can tell you my sad, sad story, or I can just tell you that not all auto body shops/painters are created equal.
You're smart to get referrals first.
If you can, talk to lots of happy customers.
Thanks, WIChix. I may try that route...if I decide to spend another very large chunk of cash...and if I decide I want to ship this poor little thing. I've been considering deskdave for some time, too. But that is a really, really large amount of money to spend...I still can't justify it.

My sad story
I took mine to a local, reputed auto body painter who had done hundreds of FWs. He said he no longer does them.
I was bummed, so went to another shop. the only other one in the area that would agree to do it, because I didn't want to ship my FW.
they said that they had a guy.....

actually, he did a beautiful job on the paint. he did a beautiful job on the first decal. then he decided to try to put the rest of the decals on some other way. Not good! They came out bumpy and wrinkled, but he put a clear coat on top of them anyway. Found out afterwards that he had never attempted to paint anything but fenders before.

Also, he painted all the screws & screw holes. None of them will fit together now. I bought replacement screws, but they won't fit either. I will have to go back and try to get the paint out of the screw holes and original screw threads.....he dropped and broke the motor....it took him about 6 weeks overall, because he was only working on it after hours, and on his own time.

all that was before covid. it is still in parts....

but the color I picked is so pretty!!! I really do like it. can't decide what to do next.....

Last edited by mindless; 02-16-2021 at 02:21 PM.