Thread: Babylock Jazz 2
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2021, 03:47 AM
helou

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot View Post
The idea of industrial machines is kind of scary, but if all you want is a machine with lots of throat space and gives you a great straight stitch and the ability to remove the feed dogs that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, an industrial might be the way to go.

I bought mine for bag making - it's super heavy duty and I could sew saddle leather if I wanted to, but by changing the feed dogs and plate, I can sew fine fabrics, too. I make a bunch of rayon jersey blouses and stretch jeans every few months.

And in January, I set it up with a darning plate and started quilting with it - it's got almost 11" between the needle and pillar. Giant M bobbin, so I can quilt for a long time without running out. I wind the empty bobbin while I'm sewing and I don't have to remove the quilt to change when it runs out, again.

It's extremely quiet and VERY fast - I had to turn the speed way down in order to re-learn FMQ. Base price was $995, but it came to almost $1200 with shipping plus the extra feet, bobbins, extra bobbin case and a couple of accessories I wanted for bags.

It took me an afternoon to set it up by myself, including carrying it upstairs. It came with holes pre-drilled, and clear assembly instructions in a video that went step by step.

You are pretty much on your own when you buy an industrial machine. I had refurbed enough vintage machines that I wasn't
intimidated at doing my own maintenance. They're actually very simple mechanical machines.

Shop around and see if that option appeals to you.
Can you tell us what brand is your machine please.
I considered buying an an industrial machine a few months ago, but I was not sure I could do FMQ with it.