Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Babylock Jazz 2 >

Babylock Jazz 2

Babylock Jazz 2

Old 03-22-2021, 02:19 PM
  #11  
Junior Member
 
marsharini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 201
Default

I’ve had my Jazz II for a year now and am totally satisfied with its performance, both sewing and FMQ. It’s a mechanical machine, so it obviously has a different feel than my electronic machine, but it does everything I need it to do and I love that I can now quilt my own queen or king quilts.
marsharini is offline  
Old 03-22-2021, 03:56 PM
  #12  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 110
Default

Originally Posted by marsharini View Post
Iíve had my Jazz II for a year now and am totally satisfied with its performance, both sewing and FMQ. Itís a mechanical machine, so it obviously has a different feel than my electronic machine, but it does everything I need it to do and I love that I can now quilt my own queen or king quilts.
Marsharini - can you tell me what you mean by "mechanical machine?" I'm not familiar with that term.
Thanks!
MeadowMist is offline  
Old 03-22-2021, 05:31 PM
  #13  
Super Member
 
ILoveToQuilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Hampshire & Maine
Posts: 3,086
Default

I have the original Jazz and love it. Have had zero problems with mine.

Meadow: a mechanical machine is just that. There is no computer. You set stitch length, width, etc. by hand. Choose your stitch pattern by hand.Think of the older/vintage machines that have no computers; they are all "mechanical" machines. If you go to the Baby Lock website and put in Jazz or Jazz II, you will see a photo of the actual machine. Hope this explains it.

ILoveToQuilt is offline  
Old 03-23-2021, 07:19 AM
  #14  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 8
Default

I ended up ruling out the Jazz 2 because I couldnít find a speed control or stitch regulator for it. Iíll admit, I didnít look to hard, but Grace says theirs doesnít work.
TequilaandQuilts is offline  
Old 03-23-2021, 07:35 AM
  #15  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,157
Default

I'm following the discussion with interest. My Guild is raffling off a Jazz 2 this year among our members. Hopefully we won't pass on a problem machine.
toverly is offline  
Old 03-23-2021, 09:40 AM
  #16  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tekamah, NE
Posts: 8
Default

Originally Posted by cgsumter View Post
I own the Jazz II but I have not had a lot of sewing time on it. It was not difficult to set up and it is capable of many more options other than straight stitch. I recently read some quilters say that they got better results free motion quilting when they left the feed dogs up. I do not remember where I read it.
I like the fact that it is not computerized. I had some problems with tension when I first started using it, but I was reading the bobbin winding diagram incorrectly.
I too have a Jazz2 and like it. I have also heard that FMQ is better with feed dogs UP, but I haven't tried it yet.
Nebraska Quilter13365 is offline  
Old 03-23-2021, 09:41 AM
  #17  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tekamah, NE
Posts: 8
Default

Originally Posted by cgsumter View Post
I own the Jazz II but I have not had a lot of sewing time on it. It was not difficult to set up and it is capable of many more options other than straight stitch. I recently read some quilters say that they got better results free motion quilting when they left the feed dogs up. I do not remember where I read it.
I like the fact that it is not computerized. I had some problems with tension when I first started using it, but I was reading the bobbin winding diagram incorrectly.
I too have a Jazz2 and like it. I have also heard that FMQ is better with feed dogs UP, but I haven't tried it yet.

Nebraska Quilter13365 is offline  
Old 03-23-2021, 02:58 PM
  #18  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 110
Default

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
I have the original Jazz and love it. Have had zero problems with mine.

Meadow: a mechanical machine is just that. There is no computer. You set stitch length, width, etc. by hand. Choose your stitch pattern by hand.Think of the older/vintage machines that have no computers; they are all "mechanical" machines. If you go to the Baby Lock website and put in Jazz or Jazz II, you will see a photo of the actual machine. Hope this explains it.
Yes, that explains it, thank you!
MeadowMist is offline  
Old 04-04-2021, 08:33 AM
  #19  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,743
Default

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot View Post
The idea of industrial machines is kind of scary, but if all you want is a machine with lots of throat space and gives you a great straight stitch and the ability to remove the feed dogs that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, an industrial might be the way to go.

I bought mine for bag making - it's super heavy duty and I could sew saddle leather if I wanted to, but by changing the feed dogs and plate, I can sew fine fabrics, too. I make a bunch of rayon jersey blouses and stretch jeans every few months.

And in January, I set it up with a darning plate and started quilting with it - it's got almost 11" between the needle and pillar. Giant M bobbin, so I can quilt for a long time without running out. I wind the empty bobbin while I'm sewing and I don't have to remove the quilt to change when it runs out, again.

It's extremely quiet and VERY fast - I had to turn the speed way down in order to re-learn FMQ. Base price was $995, but it came to almost $1200 with shipping plus the extra feet, bobbins, extra bobbin case and a couple of accessories I wanted for bags.

It took me an afternoon to set it up by myself, including carrying it upstairs. It came with holes pre-drilled, and clear assembly instructions in a video that went step by step.

You are pretty much on your own when you buy an industrial machine. I had refurbed enough vintage machines that I wasn't
intimidated at doing my own maintenance. They're actually very simple mechanical machines.

Shop around and see if that option appeals to you.
Kept in mind an industrial machine may not drop feed dogs if you want it for FMQ.
bakermom is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.