View Single Post
Old 04-12-2021, 07:19 AM
hunters grammy

Originally Posted by Julienm1 View Post
I hate the quilting part of this hobby. My DMS has the "normal" throat space so I end up wrestling with the quilt. Don't have room for long or mid arm quilting and not sure I have the creative talent to invest in a machine. Even wrestling with lap size quilts is a pain. Seems the only quilting I'm able to manage is fancy straight line quilting.

After I finish piecing I do the Gib's smack and think why didn't I plan for quilt as you go?

Don't get me wrong. I love love the process of creating the tops. Choosing a pattern, the fabric, cutting, sewing the blocks and finally seeing the quilt coming alive. And yes...love sewing the binding on.

I'm almost done with this quilt and have two more glue basted waiting for me. Right now the only thing that keeps me going is I'm committed to sewing for Project Linus.

OK...thank you for the rant. Back to the machine. (I really just have to rotate in my chair and there the quilt and machine sits waiting for me,)
Hi Julienm1....I feel about like you on quilting. I love picking fabrics, cutting and piecing and seeing the quilt come together with the backing - knowing it's just about finished. I used to have a sit down quilting machine, but I sold it to a friend - I just like the process of making it more than quilting it. So, what I wanted to share is something I used to do (and sometimes I still do) on my regular machine to accomplish quilting - unless it was a queen or king. On a wide table, I would pick up the right side of my sewing machine and turn it to the back. With the machine turned, I could use the free motion because the machine position gave me a lot of space from left to right so I could maneuver the quilt around and across a lot easier and your quilt has more room going across the machine and staying on the table. (kinda like the sit down machine I had....) If this doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll try to clarify.