View Single Post
Old 04-12-2021, 07:39 AM
Iceblossom

I'm another one where the quilting is not my favorite part. I really got spoiled when I had access to a long arm... it's hard to go back. I'm not really, I have put a king sized quilt through my old vintage machine, just a log cabin and just a grid but still.. My modern deep machine has a huge throat space and I can do details when I want. When my machine is working well, even though still not my favorite part, I'm ok doing stuff up to about twin size. Over that and it gets physically wearing on me but still manageable up to queen size if I'm just doing basic grids for the most part.

With my busy scrap quilts and limited quilting imagination, I'm finding the basic serpentine stitch to be a very reasonable option for a quilt that is going to be machine washed and used hard anyway.

A big part of the problem is the sandwiching/laying the tops out. I have a small house where my queen bed is the largest workspace I have -- yes, even if I move furniture around and work on the floor. Besides, I have to have an exit plan or at least strategy to get up again if I work on the floor. We're still largely closed down with Covid restrictions so I can't even book the meeting room at the library or fire station. Although I can run into the hubby's work after hours and get a quick picture, now even the lunch room tables have permanent dividers on them that would make it very hard to use them.

edit: Forgot the plan: I've lived in this house for close to 30 years now. It is amazing the things we have squirreled away. We are currently doing home improvements, some of which is just getting rid of stuff. We hope to put a freezer in the laundry room. I figure if we can clear it out to fit a freezer in there, I can get one of those folding ping pong tables that are often free or close to it on Craig's List. I'd have to wheel it out to the yard (flat grade/no step) and only use during good weather but how often do I layout a quilt anyway? They are light, the surface finish doesn't matter to me, and the height is a good work height.

Love the planning the most! The piecing is ok, but the fun part is when all the little subunits are made and you start making blocks and the puzzle gets put together. I'm probably going to leave this world with more than a few unquilted tops. I'm ok with that. Going for "as few UFOs as possible" and "less fabric than I have now" but no guarantees.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 04-12-2021 at 07:42 AM.