View Single Post
Old 09-04-2021, 05:19 PM
JENNR8R

Originally Posted by Grandma’sgirl View Post
Congratulations on having your quilt accepted! That is so exciting! I also would advise having the quilt appraised. I think that the price is worth it.
can I share with you a story? In my family, there was a wonderful older lad who did handiwork’s. Now, every one loved her and appreciated her quilts. But one year, she had hand pieced and hand quilted a beautiful light blue sawtooth star with corner stones on a white background. Her neighbor begged her to show it and helped her sign up for the quilt show. Part of the judging process was having the quilt appraised. This was back in the early ‘90’s. Well, the appraisal was for over 1000 dollars. It also won. Well, after that, every single family member values her work even more! They would tell people that this quilt was made by a grand champion winner! The funny thing is that before she made the quilt, people had given her their favorite color schemes. None of them liked blue! She loved blue and she knew that she had to work with colors that she herself liked in order to work so many hours on this quilt. So after she got it appraised, several people wanted it, and she would not give it to them. Well, I knew none of this, and when I came to visit, she asked me what my favorite color schemes were and what colors I had decorated my house with. Well, blue is my favorite color and my house was decorated in blue and white. I was shocked when she pulled out the quilt and told me the story of the quilt. She promptly gave it to me!
But EVERY single person values what she made even more.They care for her quilts even more carefully.
and yes. The insurance is also a practical consideration.
Once again, congratulations on making it in!
That's a wonderful story. I've only gotten one ribbon in an international show, and I gave that quilt to a friend who admired the colors.