Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why Should I Get My Quilt Appraised? >

Why Should I Get My Quilt Appraised?

Why Should I Get My Quilt Appraised?

Old 08-25-2021, 05:57 AM

Default Why Should I Get My Quilt Appraised?

I have achieved my ultimate quilting goal of having a quilt juried into the International Quilt Festival. It will be displayed this Fall and was accepted into the machine quilting category of all things! I can die a happy woman! (I hope one of you will be attending and could send me a picture of it hanging there since I won't be able to attend.)

I'm being offered the opportunity of having the quilt appraised at the show for $55. I know an appraisal is valuable in establishing its worth when shipping it. Insurance on the quilt would only cover the cost of supplies (that I could prove with receipts) to make the quilt unless I had a written appraisal.

I don't anticipate this quilt being shipped again once it is returned to me after the show. I cannot use the appraised value in shipping it back because it won't be provided until 30 days after the show. The quilt would have been shipped back to me well before then.

Can you think of another reason that I would want this quilt appraised other than bragging rights?
Attached Thumbnails bluebirds-fly.jpg  
Old 08-25-2021, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

Wow, that's fantastic!!!!
I have no idea on your question though, sorry.
That quilt is amazing!
Old 08-25-2021, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

Why not? You will always wonder what the appraisal would have been. Having official proof of the value of your work will certainly give you a boost. Your quilt is so nice! I know you are proud of it. I'm happy for you!
Old 08-25-2021, 06:38 AM

Having an economic value placed on something isn't just about bragging. As I say -- it aint bragging if it's true, your quilt is true! You should be so proud. When I say I'm deficient in the skills that improve a quilt by quilting, well you are the sort of person who shows me what is possible.

It is entirely up to you -- you know in your heart your value of the project. I myself would take advantage of the official appraisal to see what other people might think... it adds to our overall knowledge of our hobby if nothing else! From what I've looked at before, that seems to be a reasonable charge and would be from a very reputable source.

My husband and I have been discussing the financial value of quilts lately. I've never said too much about it to my friends and family, what my quilts cost to make or what my quilts would sell for or what it would take/cost to commission me. Another one of my sayings is I give freely but I don't work for cheap.. but it is becoming apparent that people just have no clue and so some of them treat my hundreds of hours of work and effort with disrespect. My quilts are blankets, they are meant to be used, but they aren't meant to be used to cover "valuable" pieces of junk furniture while being moved or be on the floor in the garage... so maybe they need to know that they can buy a blue tarp for $10 and maybe that's a better use of everyone's time and money.

So for my husband, three things stand out. One, I donated a baby quilt for a fundraising auction they had at work. He proudly told me it sold for $20. Great! I had $60 just in materials for that one -- but he had no idea. Second was he posted pictures of one of my projects and his brother/wife asked if I could make them something similar. I gave them what I thought was a very good offer, that I had no plans currently to make anything like that but I would sell them my completed project I made for me for $100, which would allow me to buy similar replacement fabrics for the top at sale price . That was too much for them. Third is recently I was given an almost complete Judy Niemeyer top, and I was talking about giving it to his sister, that she had the sort of life style and probably already had a list of specific items on her insurance policy. That even if quilted by me, it was the sort of thing you list in case of damage, fire or floods.

I had looked up this list when we were discussing that top -- there are other sources but here is the AQS list of local appraisers, you can search regions in the box on the top.
http://www.americanquilter.com/quilt...php?&offset=50
Old 08-25-2021, 06:42 AM

Get it appraised! A woman in one of my guilds years ago had a prize winning quilt disappear it was heart breaking to see this work of art just gone and only being compensated $50 from the post office. She could have insured this beautiful quilt for $10,000 easily as she had won this much in prize money. The quilt was never seen again. It was a whole cloth quilt and just stunning! So please have it appraised and insure it. You never know.
Old 08-25-2021, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

I would definitely spend the $55 to have it appraised. But if I were the appraiser it would come in at $1 million.
Old 08-25-2021, 09:44 AM

I love your quilt. Too bad you can't go to the show to see it.

One of my quilts was chosen to be in the 2019 Houston International Quilt show. I decided not to have my quilt appraised. I regret that now. I couldn't think of a reason to spend the money for the appraisal but I should have. I won't likely have the opportunity again.

Old 08-25-2021, 11:13 AM

I think $55 to have it appraised is a bargain. Since it's been juried into the show, that will increase its value significantly. As others have said, an official appraisal will protect you in case the quilt is lost in the mail (I know you said you don't anticipate it will go anywhere else, but it has to come home to you first, right? Plus, you may decide to enter it in other shows!). Additionally, an appraisal may be helpful with your homeowners policy in case of fire, flooding, theft, etc. (depending on your policy, of course - speak to your agent.)
Old 08-25-2021, 12:28 PM
Power Poster

I have many quilts appraised. If something happened to it ( house fire/flood/ tornado, any number of things- even theft having that appraisal will come in handy when you submit your insurance claim. I also include appraisals with gifts ( wedding- special expensive quilts) and any I sell. Plus, if you have never had one appraised before you should- it will be quite an ( eye opening experience)
Old 08-25-2021, 01:19 PM

I say go for it! Your quilt is a masterpiece!