Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why Should I Get My Quilt Appraised? >

Why Should I Get My Quilt Appraised?

Why Should I Get My Quilt Appraised?

Old 08-25-2021, 01:57 PM

I think $55 is reasonable. I had a quilt that was shown in 3 AQS shows and had to have it appraised for shipping and insurance at the show. I was shocked at the appraised amount! Yes, Yes, Yes, get it appraised. I found out that AI have to carry a rider on my home owners insurance for this quilt or my insurance company would give me about $20 to replace that 'blanket' at Walmart. My insurance agent was just shocked. He had no idea what a quilt is actually worth. You won't regret getting it appraised. Your work is valuable.
Old 08-25-2021, 04:50 PM

I agree with previous posters. Get it done. I think $55 is a great price to have it appraised. I would regret not doing it if it were mine.
Old 08-25-2021, 05:08 PM

I would totally have it appraised. Even if it was just for my own curiosity. Plus, this may not be the only time you ship or show this quilt or if it's appraises very high you might want ot add it as a rider to your homeowner's insurance in case of loss by fire flood or whatever. I live in Houston and will most likely attend Quilt Festival. I've been there every year since the early 90's except for 2020 with the covid cancellation. I would be pleased to take some pics but you'll have to remind me before festival!
Old 08-26-2021, 02:16 AM

Congratulations! Definitely take up the offer to have it appraised. If it is ever lost, stolen or damaged/destroyed by fire, flood, etc, it is covered under your insurance. Just be sure to send a copy of the appraisal to your insurance company to keep in their files. I’ve had several quilt appraised (especially ones that are original designs or quilts I have put a lot of work into). Acceptance into a show raises the value, a ribbon raises the value even more. Be sure to find out if the appraisal was done before or after the show, as the value will need to be adjusted if it was done before the show and ends up with a ribbon. Had a long talk with my insurance office and they said without it, it’s just covered at the cost of materials used. Since the appraisal is being done by a certified appraiser at the show it will be covered at the full appraisal. If the appraiser is not certified, the insurance company can fight any claim and reduce the insurance payout. Always use a certified appraiser!

Last edited by cindi; 08-26-2021 at 02:20 AM.
Old 08-26-2021, 02:51 AM

I’d also advise you to get the quilt appraised before it goes to the show. If it gets lost or stolen in shipping to or from the show it won’t be covered.
Old 08-26-2021, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by cindi View Post
I’d also advise you to get the quilt appraised before it goes to the show. If it gets lost or stolen in shipping to or from the show it won’t be covered.
Or damaged at the show. While the Quilt Fest has taken extra precautions, quilts could still be damaged. I feel it's better to have protection and not use it than to not have it and need it. Same reason I have flood insurance even though in 40 years my house has never flooded. Those around me have and you never know
Old 08-26-2021, 07:53 AM

Congratulations on being accepted into the show! Yes, I would have your beautiful quilt appraised like everyone has said - just in case something happens to it down the road. You never know.
Old 08-26-2021, 02:29 PM

Congratulations on having your quilt accepted, and frankly, if it were me, I think the bragging rights are a good enough reason to have it appraised!!

Apropos of everyone’s comments regarding valuation for insurance purposes, I sometimes wish the quilts we make had a different name than the factory produced blankets you can buy in big box stores. Our creations are works of art. When buying/selling/insuring a painting, it’s based on the artist, the colours, the complexity etc, not the value of the paint and the canvas. Our quilts should be the same.
Old 08-26-2021, 07:59 PM

Congratulations on having your quilt accepted! That is so exciting! I also would advise having the quilt appraised. I think that the price is worth it.
can I share with you a story? In my family, there was a wonderful older lad who did handiwork’s. Now, every one loved her and appreciated her quilts. But one year, she had hand pieced and hand quilted a beautiful light blue sawtooth star with corner stones on a white background. Her neighbor begged her to show it and helped her sign up for the quilt show. Part of the judging process was having the quilt appraised. This was back in the early ‘90’s. Well, the appraisal was for over 1000 dollars. It also won. Well, after that, every single family member values her work even more! They would tell people that this quilt was made by a grand champion winner! The funny thing is that before she made the quilt, people had given her their favorite color schemes. None of them liked blue! She loved blue and she knew that she had to work with colors that she herself liked in order to work so many hours on this quilt. So after she got it appraised, several people wanted it, and she would not give it to them. Well, I knew none of this, and when I came to visit, she asked me what my favorite color schemes were and what colors I had decorated my house with. Well, blue is my favorite color and my house was decorated in blue and white. I was shocked when she pulled out the quilt and told me the story of the quilt. She promptly gave it to me!
But EVERY single person values what she made even more.They care for her quilts even more carefully.
and yes. The insurance is also a practical consideration.
Once again, congratulations on making it in!
Old 08-28-2021, 08:41 AM

Your piecing in PERFECT and your quilting is OUT OF THIS WORLD GORGEOUS!!!