View Single Post
Old 02-20-2022, 07:14 AM
Magdellena

Default Delighted to be here

I'm called Magdellena, Magda or Maggie for short. I am originally from Aberdeen, Scotland but married an American and now reside in Nashville, TN, USA.

I made my first quilt a little over a decade ago. I loved the experience, wanted to do more but did not get the chance due to having wee ones running about that needed seeing to, as well as having moved multiple times in those years.

Three years ago, I found that desire again when a dear friend had her first child and I wanted to make a quilt for them. Originally I thought a baby quilt but the more I pondered it the less I fancied the idea. Though I have seen so many lovely baby quilts and was even gifted ones for my own children, I have always felt they were limited in their actual usage due to wee ones outgrowing them so fast. I felt, if I made something for someone, I wanted it to be able to be loved and used for a lifetime. So, I designed a pattern I liked and then went about learning how to make it a reality.

Since then I have made a a dozen or so completed quilts and have twice that in unfinished tops and blocks.

I have been teased by the friend who taught me the basics of quilting that I have a tendency to always go over the top, and went from no experience to advanced patterns in one massive leap. I suppose she isn't wrong but I know what I like and that is what I want to make.

I am a bit of an odd duck to be honest. I love dark, creepy things, fantasy, sci-fi, films, comic books, video games and the like. I tend to take traditional techniques and mix them with quirky patterns, themes and mediums to create something unique ; gothy, spooky, nerdy, geeky, fandom heavy fabric arts.

I look forward to really deep diving into this forum to learn and share.