View Single Post
Old 05-22-2022, 01:03 PM
SueZQ from MN

I am proud to admit that I showed the ultimate restraint yesterday. We traveled 200 miles to an outdoor swap meet for my husband's hobby and while there, found out that one of the gentlemen was having an estate sale in the afternoon for his departed wife's quilting and crafting stash. She had been an avid quilter for 55 years and never found a piece of fabric or handcraft that she didn't like. According to the inventory sheet he showed me, and our lengthy discussion, she had numerous sewing machines, lots of rulers and notions, over 40 kits, 100s of commercial patterns, over 1000 spools of thread, 70 extra-large Rubbermaid tubs and/or underbed boxes of fabric, and a 4' wall cabinet filled with backing fabrics, works in progress and quilt tops that needed to be finished. He was also selling over 20 finished quilts and 17 totes and handbags she'd made. She also had numerous containers of yarn, embroidery, and cross stitch supplies. Heaven on earth, right? I didn't go!! After discussing it with my husband, he said it sounded like fun and we should drive the additional 50 mi. to the sale starting in 3 hours. As inviting as it sounded, and altho I am sure that I would have bought something, I decided I have enough of my own stash to last 2 lifetimes and I just don't need to buy any more. I am sure that some of you might think I am crazy to pass up the opportunity, especially since we had already come so far, but all of this stuff was in a small space and I am sure that there would have been a large crowd of buyers. There is currently a serious upsurge of covid in that area, so combined with my supply at home, I just didn't want to take a chance with my husband's or my health after being so careful for over 2 years. Maybe I made a mistake, but we'll never know, and I am content with my decision, and proud of my restraint.

Last edited by SueZQ from MN; 05-22-2022 at 01:11 PM.