View Single Post
Old 07-23-2022, 09:19 AM
MaryKa

Originally Posted by Goldenleaf View Post
So….. I’ve started making a lap quilt from this pattern but as I’m a relatively new sewer the edges to the blocks aren’t straight but dip in and out where the fabrics join. I’ve realised it’s to do with fabric ‘creep’ and me letting my sewing machine do it’s own thing rather than tensioning the fabric but what do I do now? Do I trim all the blocks and hope I get them square or fudge the sewing lines thinking nobody will notice in the long run?
Are you using cotton or are you using a t-shirt type fabric??? Cotton type should not "creep" but the t-shirt fabrics will most certianly "creep" if you do not have everything proper. Most will also suggest that you sew the t-shirt fabric on a serger and not on a "normal" sewing machine due to the differance in the stretchability of the farbrics. Cotton does not normally stretch while t-shirt fabric is made to be able to stretch. If you are using cottons than most likely your machine tension is wrong and it would be to your advantage to take it to a shop and ask them to show you how to fix this problem. If it is just a tension adjustment it can be corrected most quickly by someone who knows that type of machine. Give it a try and I think you will have years of fun sewing all kinds of projects. Hope this helps in your decision on how to fix this problem.