Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Turning twenty - sew easy >

Turning twenty - sew easy

Turning twenty - sew easy

Old 07-22-2022, 11:58 AM

Default Turning twenty - sew easy

So….. I’ve started making a lap quilt from this pattern but as I’m a relatively new sewer the edges to the blocks aren’t straight but dip in and out where the fabrics join. I’ve realised it’s to do with fabric ‘creep’ and me letting my sewing machine do it’s own thing rather than tensioning the fabric but what do I do now? Do I trim all the blocks and hope I get them square or fudge the sewing lines thinking nobody will notice in the long run?
Old 07-22-2022, 02:09 PM

I wrote a long story, but lost it. I may repeat it, but in the meanwhile, they have info on youtube on how to square up your blocks. That's what you need to do.

bkay
Old 07-22-2022, 04:49 PM
Power Poster

What you do next may depend on how "off/wonky" your block/units may be.

Can you post a picture?

I think that if the "base/foundation" is off, the rest of it will probably off.

If you are up to it, taking the blocks apart - repressing the pieces so they return to approximately their original size and shape - and resewing them might be something to consider.

Or - as another thought - after/since you have an idea of what is currently off/wrong/frustrating with the blocks/units you have just sewn - how about setting them aside and making some more that will go together better. Then - decide what to do with the wonky ones. You might decide to live with them "as is" - or you might decide to redo them.

Old 07-22-2022, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Goldenleaf View Post
So….. I’ve started making a lap quilt from this pattern but as I’m a relatively new sewer the edges to the blocks aren’t straight but dip in and out where the fabrics join. I’ve realised it’s to do with fabric ‘creep’ and me letting my sewing machine do it’s own thing rather than tensioning the fabric but what do I do now? Do I trim all the blocks and hope I get them square or fudge the sewing lines thinking nobody will notice in the long run?
I am confused by what you mean by "tensioning" the fabric. I don't think you should have to pull on the fabric, the machine ought to feed the fabric fairly evenly and straight if it is not getting hung up on anything. Do you have your machine in a cabinet? What kind of machine is it? Is it set up on a table and is there any support around the machine? Pinning the pieces together might help so you can make sure the fabric is feeding evenly. Are you having problems just at the beginning and end of the seams with not stitching straight?
Old 07-22-2022, 06:04 PM

I like Turning Twenty or Twelve. You could press your blocks & square them then sew together. Have a wonky block quilt. It depends on how much work you want to put into it. Is this for you? If it's a gift you might want to redo. Quilts for my couch or car I'm not as picky about.
Old 07-22-2022, 06:19 PM

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but my first thought when reading your description is maybe you need to lessen the presser foot pressure.
Can you post a picture?
Old 07-22-2022, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I'm not sure what you're talking about, but my first thought when reading your description is maybe you need to lessen the presser foot pressure.
Can you post a picture?
I was thinking the same. Your presser foot pressure may be too heavy. It also helps me to starch my fabric before cutting and also before piecing on occasion.
Old 07-23-2022, 12:36 AM

Sorry I should’ve thought to have attached a photo
Attached Thumbnails 48b0e5ae-3a31-4576-964c-f288341fda9e.jpeg  
Old 07-23-2022, 02:46 AM

I'm wondering if the feed dogs are moving the top/bottom fabrics differently. Perhaps as stated above, your presser foot is too heavy. A solution may be to start sewing approx. 1/2 inch down the piece, then reverse to the beginning of the fabric piece, then going forward to finish sewing the piece, so you are not starting on the edge of the fabric.

Also, since it seems to just be the red fabric, perhaps it maybe a little off on measurements.
Old 07-23-2022, 04:40 AM

Hey, that's pretty good for your first quilt! It's straight. Like I already said, square up the blocks and go on down the road. There are some youtube videos by an elderly lady that are fantastic for new quilters. She covers how to avoid this. I always forget her name. I will find it (I'll ask Janey) and post it for you.
bkay