Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ruler Foot Problem >

Ruler Foot Problem

Ruler Foot Problem

Old 07-18-2022, 12:13 PM

Default Ruler Foot Problem

I have been wanting to try ruler quilting for a while. Finally bought a ruler foot and my MIL loaned me a couple of her rulers. Am finally working on a quilt that I decided I would try the ruler on. I sew on a Janome 8900 memory craft. I can free motion quilt just fine. When I am using the "convertible free motion quilting foot" I can sew in all directions including backward. Zero issues. Now when I use the ruler foot and quilt backwards, I get big skipped stitches right before the thread breaks. Why would this be? If I slow down I can sew for slightly longer before the thread breaks, but I don't understand how a different foot would change things so dramatically.
Old 07-18-2022, 12:39 PM

Is the ruler foot adjustable? Is it possible that it is either too tight against the fabric or too loose. Either can cause skipped stitches.
Old 07-18-2022, 12:56 PM
Power Poster

If your foot height is adjustable, lower it until it almost rests on the sandwich.
Old 07-18-2022, 12:58 PM

Are you using a ruler foot with the convertible holder that you use for fmq or are you using a stand alone ruler foot?

Another question…do you have to set your machine to a ruler work setting? On my Janome 9400 I have to tell it that I’m doing ruler work.
Old 07-18-2022, 01:02 PM

Make sure you are not pushing the ruler up against the foot too hard as that might deflect the needle causing skipped stitches.
Old 07-18-2022, 01:20 PM
mkc

If this is a fixed ruler foot and not the ruler "toe" that goes on the convertible foot, it's likely that the foot is too high off the fabric sandwich and it's allowing the thread to deflect the needle too much when you move the fabric.

If it's the toe on the convertible foot, you can adjust the height of the convertible foot so there is less needle deflection.

Big skipped stitches, if there is no hole from the needle, can mean you are moving the fabric too fast.
Old 07-18-2022, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by SuzSLO View Post
Is the ruler foot adjustable? Is it possible that it is either too tight against the fabric or too loose. Either can cause skipped stitches.
It is adjustable. I read it shouldn't touch the fabric so I raised it. Maybe I have to experiment with the height more.
Old 07-18-2022, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by JanieW View Post
Are you using a ruler foot with the convertible holder that you use for fmq or are you using a stand alone ruler foot?

Another question…do you have to set your machine to a ruler work setting? On my Janome 9400 I have to tell it that I’m doing ruler work.
My machine does not have a setting for ruler work...
The foot I am using is the stand alone janome 1/4 inch ruler foot, for high shank rotary hook models.
Old 07-18-2022, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by mkc View Post
If this is a fixed ruler foot and not the ruler "toe" that goes on the convertible foot, it's likely that the foot is too high off the fabric sandwich and it's allowing the thread to deflect the needle too much when you move the fabric.

If it's the toe on the convertible foot, you can adjust the height of the convertible foot so there is less needle deflection.

Big skipped stitches, if there is no hole from the needle, can mean you are moving the fabric too fast.
I will try slowing down more, but I am not sure that's it. I will try the foot lower as well. hanks for the suggestions.
Old 07-18-2022, 04:32 PM

It's too high. It should just skim the fabric.

Watson