Thread: Jury Duty!
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 05:42 AM
QBeth

Originally Posted by vjengels
....... I keep telling my husband to keep his cell on ,after I saw the way the lawyers on this particular case cross examined the jury for selection, .... I have a small problem with thier tone..... I may have to be bailed out for contempt!
One last jury story... four years ago I was called. Showed up, was handed a questionnaire. Over the next three days, we were asked to fill out more questionaires, and the numbers started to go down. Finally, on the fourth day, those who were left (including me) were brought into the court room, in front of a judge, the prosecutor, the defendant and his lawyer for voir dire (sp?). This is when you find out the details.

It was murder trial! I'm sitting in the witness box, a bit nervous (thankfully I've never been a defendant or witness), and they start asking basic questions about "do I know the defendant?," "have I heard about the case?," etc. Then the prosecutor asks me "how do you tell if someone is lying?" Huh? I told him that I could only go on instinct by watching the proceedings. Guess he didn't like my answer because he pressed me on it again. I gave the same answer.

Then the defendant's lawyer gets up, asks a few questions, then HE asks me "how do you tell if someone is lying?" At this point I'm a bit frustrated so I snapped back "well you guys know more about lying than I do!" meaning, of course, that they're around liars for most of their careers. Let's just say the courtroom cracked up, from the judge to the defendant! Do I need to say I wasn't picked for the jury? :| :| :|