View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 03:52 PM
Pamela Artman

I am making a queen size double wedding ring right now for a woman who ordered it for her daughter's wedding. I bought the fabrics and will have it machine quilted. I told her $500 and she didn't bat an eye, however after cutting it out and sewing some of the curved arcs I realize now that it's going to be much more labor intensive then other quilts I have made and I'm sorry I didn't quote her a higher price. I'm keeping track of my hours so I will have a better idea of the labor time for future reference. I went to a Amish quilt auction a couple years ago and was amazed at the low prices. I had seen similar appliqued quilts at some of the stores priced between $800 and $1,200 but at this auction, they couldn't even get a $200 opening bid! I bought a white whole cloth quilt (hand quilted) for $120. I know that the Amish women in the seats were heartbroken to see their work go for so little (or some not getting any bids at all). The woman behind the cash register told me it was the economy and that the year before, all the quilts were sold and for much higher prices.