Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Question son Disappearing 9 patch >
  • Question son Disappearing 9 patch

• Question son Disappearing 9 patch

Old 01-12-2012, 07:04 PM

Default Question son Disappearing 9 patch

My next project is a disappearing 9 patch. Wold I use 8 prints and a dark center or what is the least amount of fabrics to use Does it work best to have the center block always the same? Thanks for yours help with this.
    Old 01-12-2012, 07:39 PM

I use either 3 fabrics or 5 fabrics and I always have the center block be the same. It seems to really make the whole quilt come together and pop at the same time. Here's a great example I just recently saw on this board:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t175006.html

Last edited by Ps 150; 01-12-2012 at 07:42 PM.
    Old 01-12-2012, 07:54 PM

You can use whatever you want! Some people make them with only a few colors. Personally, I like to use lots of different prints in a particular color scheme and keep the center square the same because it forms a secondary pattern when I cut/sew them back together after flipping the opposite ones. I also tend to keep the same parts similar, such as all the outer corners dark, inner squares light, etc. I like the way it looks. I've done a few. One was black and white with turquoise. One blues/yellows/greens with teal centers. One of safari fabrics that I used squares from a panel for the large squares. I'll see if I can locate the pics for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	D9P-Safari cats front.JPG
Views:	6900
Size:	800.0 KB
ID:	302653   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05937.JPG
Views:	13099
Size:	803.8 KB
ID:	302654   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05932.JPG
Views:	7168
Size:	774.3 KB
ID:	302655  
    Old 01-12-2012, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ruby the Quilter
    My next project is a disappearing 9 patch. Wold I use 8 prints and a dark center or what is the least amount of fabrics to use Does it work best to have the center block always the same? Thanks for yours help with this.
    I like the center the same, to keep some continuity. I also do the corners in a focus fabric and the inside edges in a smaller print. Really, whatever suits your fancy.
    Old 01-13-2012, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by katier825
    You can use whatever you want! Some people make them with only a few colors. Personally, I like to use lots of different prints in a particular color scheme and keep the center square the same because it forms a secondary pattern when I cut/sew them back together after flipping the opposite ones. I also tend to keep the same parts similar, such as all the outer corners dark, inner squares light, etc. I like the way it looks. I've done a few. One was black and white with turquoise. One blues/yellows/greens with teal centers. One of safari fabrics that I used squares from a panel for the large squares. I'll see if I can locate the pics for you.
    I love your animal print quilt - I've been thinking of using D9P for a baby quilt, as I have some fabric with pictures of trucks, diggers etc in 4in squares - this confirms it'd work well.
    Old 01-13-2012, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads
    I love your animal print quilt - I've been thinking of using D9P for a baby quilt, as I have some fabric with pictures of trucks, diggers etc in 4in squares - this confirms it'd work well.
    Sounds nice! I think the D9P would look good as an I-spy quilt too.
    Old 01-13-2012, 02:30 AM

I just posted mine on the UFO challenge page 26 or 27. It is all scraps with the center kept the same. Then I did it up qayg with a striped batik as the sashing. Great way to use up bigger scraps for me.
    Old 01-13-2012, 05:29 AM

Thanks for all the wonderful examples on here. I am working on cutting some scraps to make a D9P and just watched an online tutorial the other day. I don't have quantities of fabric and so mine will be totally scraps, nothing matching but I do like how they look when matched. Mine is just another charity top and want to practice on the pattern. Love the one with blue and the one with turqoise.
    Old 01-13-2012, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by katier825
    Love your turquoise quilt. My favorite colors.
    Old 01-13-2012, 12:58 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

If you use focus fabrics in all four corners, don't you need to be careful about orientation if the fabric is directional? The animal pictures, for instance. Or do you just exchange the sections after you cut instead of "flipping" them?