Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Mixing fabrics >
  • Mixing fabrics

• Mixing fabrics

Old 06-01-2013, 05:03 AM

remember old time crazy quilts were all kinds of mixed fabrics!
    Old 06-01-2013, 05:24 AM

I found My Sunflower Patch. I put it in the Search window in the black bar at the top of the page.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...h-t221439.html
    Old 06-01-2013, 06:47 AM

I just use what I like and if it's different, so what. I haven't had any problems so far, so go for it.
    Old 06-01-2013, 07:19 AM

I don't tend to mix batiks with prints either. I think the texture is different as well as the look. I will add in a LITTLE if it is only a small amount, but that's all. I do mix homespun and "country" colors. As long as the look is the same as the homespun, I think they work well together, plus a whole homespun pieces is too much plaid for me. Now, all those rules go out the window if I'm doing a truly scrappy quilt, because all those would be scraps that I've used, so they get pulled into that kind of quilt.
    Old 06-01-2013, 07:22 AM

I am about mix cottons and batik in a fish quilt. I'm using the batik for the background to give the look of water. I think it works in this instance. Otherwise, I generally stick to one or the other unless it's a scrappy quilt. I tend to think my batiks are "special" and deserve their own quilt. Just me being odd I guess, lol.
    Old 06-01-2013, 07:31 AM

I would prewash all fabric to get maximum shrinkage first.

Also, if you are worried about stretching, do a simple stay stitch around a block or piece of fabric. 1/8" should be good and would be covered by a 1/4" seam.

Anytime we don't use fabric all from the same line, we are in essence mixing fabrics. Most of my quilts use different fabric lines.

And, if you have some one who likes to feel the different textures on a quilt, like a small child, minkee, flannel and corduroy would differently feel good to them.

After I retired, the first two quilts I made were blue jean quilts that I made using my kids old jeans and mixed with flannel and bandana material.
    Old 06-01-2013, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Muddles
    I am about mix cottons and batik in a fish quilt. I'm using the batik for the background to give the look of water. I think it works in this instance. Otherwise, I generally stick to one or the other unless it's a scrappy quilt. I tend to think my batiks are "special" and deserve their own quilt. Just me being odd I guess, lol.
    Be careful, Muddles... you are on your way to flaunting the "rules"! The big danger is, you might find you like the mixing, the possibilties! ENJOY!
    Old 06-01-2013, 08:54 AM

I have started mixing fabrics in my quilts. I took class from Edyta Sitar and she mixes batiks, homespun, cotton together like her look. Don't use flannels I don't like to work with them.. good luck
    Old 06-01-2013, 08:58 AM
    Power Poster

I've often used batiks and cottons together without a problem, although I prewash all my fabrics like jzaaboo, I just find it easier, and safer as you never know which fabrics will bleed. I have prewashed light to medium fabrics that bled and darker ones that didn't, so you don't know.
    Old 06-01-2013, 09:06 AM

I too don't do much flannel but our charity group was using 2 flannel sheets as batting doing foundation quilting.
    Found out that flannel pieces worked the best . Finishing the second throw size today but I call the colors ugly.
    Has flannel backing, batting and top so should keep a young boy warm anyway.Camo green kind of colors.