Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Never assume... >
  • Never assume...

• Never assume...

Old 02-07-2016, 03:56 PM
    Power Poster

At least you were able to take some off the sides to make up the difference. I once made a quilt top that was going to be used as a duvet cover, since she didn't want it quilted, so I bought a king size sheet that was very soft, and I thought it would be big enough, NOT!! Well, long story short, that very night my son came home to tell me that is fiancé had broken off the engagement (one month before the wedding) because she had a richer, thinner boyfriend and had been seeing him all along. When I expressed my "displeasure" to my friends for her hurting my son, they all agreed she had done him wrong. Since neither he nor his sister wanted the quilt, I finished it as a raffle quilt for my church's Holiday Fair that year. But get this, the pattern for this quilt was "Lover's Knot", or rather Lover's NOT. I was just happy that it made quite a bit of money for my church, so I was thankful for that. Fortunately, some time later he met someone who is a wonderful girl, comes from a good family, and they have a beautiful daughter, our DGD Zoe who will be 6 in May. I guess he kissed a lot of frogs before finding his princess.
    Old 02-07-2016, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane
    6 inches on each side?
    Some do 6 each side, top and bottom. I do 4 all the way around.
    Reason: pinning the top and bottom takes up room and you need extra on the sides for the clips. Videos on YouTube show how it's done.
    Old 02-07-2016, 05:09 PM

That one girl did your son a HUGE favor.
    Old 02-07-2016, 06:36 PM

That almost happened to me the other day and even after measuring it in front of the customer she insisted that the back was bigger than the quilt measured them both twice and had to lay the quilt on top of the backing before she believed it.lol
    Old 02-08-2016, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by MargeD
    At least you were able to take some off the sides to make up the difference. I once made a quilt top that was going to be used as a duvet cover, since she didn't want it quilted, so I bought a king size sheet that was very soft, and I thought it would be big enough, NOT!! Well, long story short, that very night my son came home to tell me that is fiancé had broken off the engagement (one month before the wedding) because she had a richer, thinner boyfriend and had been seeing him all along. When I expressed my "displeasure" to my friends for her hurting my son, they all agreed she had done him wrong. Since neither he nor his sister wanted the quilt, I finished it as a raffle quilt for my church's Holiday Fair that year. But get this, the pattern for this quilt was "Lover's Knot", or rather Lover's NOT. I was just happy that it made quite a bit of money for my church, so I was thankful for that. Fortunately, some time later he met someone who is a wonderful girl, comes from a good family, and they have a beautiful daughter, our DGD Zoe who will be 6 in May. I guess he kissed a lot of frogs before finding his princess.
    Love your story Marge you haven't told me this one- hope you're doing well this week. Chat with you later dear friend. Love an hugs Gerbie