Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Owners of the Q'nique or Block Rockit >
  • Owners of the Q'nique or Block Rockit

• Owners of the Q'nique or Block Rockit

Old 05-18-2016, 01:16 PM

Default Owners of the Q'nique or Block Rockit

Was wondering if there is a thread or threads that your machine likes better than another. Having a problem with thread breaking and shredding, so due to the frustration this causes I decided to post this question. Thanks for your responses.
    Old 05-18-2016, 01:54 PM

Make sure your thread is not too old. Try pulling a length of thread apart. If it breaks easily...trash it. Also, it is worth spending a little extra on good thread. Less aggravating.
    Old 05-18-2016, 04:54 PM

I'm wondering if you need a needle with a larger eye. I don't have a longarm, but the Block Rocket is sure interesting. How do you like it?
    Sue
    Old 05-18-2016, 05:08 PM
    Power Poster

My machines will not sew with Coats and Clark Dual Duty. Everything else works (so far)
    I piece and quilt with Connecting Threads cotton - even if it is a bit linty, the price is right.
    Old 05-18-2016, 05:55 PM

On my long arm the top thread shreds and breaks when the top tension is too tight, there is a bur on a thread guide or needle. If the thread "cuts" its a problem in the take up on the bobbin. Usually for me it's the top tension being too tight. I find that I sometimes need to adjust it when changing from a poly to a cotton thread. Seems to happen much more with cotton for me. I use mostly Superior--SoFine is my favorite. Like Glide too--but must use a netting with it.
    Old 05-18-2016, 06:08 PM

I have used Omni in my BlockRockIt and the last quilt I did I used Connecting Threads cotton. Both stitched great. I have also used YLI without problems.
    Old 05-19-2016, 04:27 AM

The thread is brand new so that is not it, the eye of the needle is large enough I'm using 50 weight thread. The thing is that I've been using the same thread since I got my machine (the Q'nique BTW ) and this just started I've changed threads and it just got worse. This is why I posted the question, wondering what anyone else was using. Am thinking of ordering some Aurifil to see if it makes it better. Also did try the other trouble shooting suggestions.
    Old 05-19-2016, 06:27 AM

Maybe you are just going too fast.....not allowing for that stitch to be formed and thus shredding, breaking thread. Or a piece of lint is buried somewhere along the way causing the drag that snaps the thread...no matter what brand! Remember LINT is a quilters four letter word!
    Old 05-19-2016, 08:52 AM

I've had a Block Rockit ever since they came out. I've used many types of threads including serger thread, embroidery thread, threads from Connecting Threads and it sews them all beautifully. The only thing is getting the tension correct. Yes for some types you may have to go to a larger or smaller needle depending on the size and type of thread but the machine should sew it once set up correctly.

Some machines just don't like a particular thread but that's pretty much in all brands of machines. So far I love my Block Rockit.

David
    Old 05-19-2016, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts
    The thread is brand new so that is not it, the eye of the needle is large enough I'm using 50 weight thread. The thing is that I've been using the same thread since I got my machine (the Q'nique BTW ) and this just started I've changed threads and it just got worse. This is why I posted the question, wondering what anyone else was using. Am thinking of ordering some Aurifil to see if it makes it better. Also did try the other trouble shooting suggestions.
    I'm thinking that is you are having this problem with several brands of threads, that it's not a thread issue but either a tension or maybe something with the take up arm on the bobbin.