Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
boycotting Hancock fabric in my community >

boycotting Hancock fabric in my community

boycotting Hancock fabric in my community

Old 04-28-2010, 09:19 PM

I have to agree with the "office doesn't care" statement. I had a horrible experience (actually 2!) at my local Hancock's, and even though I sent e-mail after e-mail to the corporate office, NO ONE bothered to even acknowledge that the e-mails were received. They have HORRIBLE customer service at many of their stores, and they don't do a thing about it.

We hardly shop there any more. None of us, and I have several quilters close friends included in that "us".
Old 04-29-2010, 01:33 AM
Administrator

i had a fabulous experience at my Hancock's just last evening.

i live an hour away and happened to be nearby for work. there was a particular item going on sale today that i really wanted. i explained how far i had to travel and that i couldn't come back today. they let me buy the item last evening for today's sale price.

i just might drive back up on saturday to see what's left.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:12 AM

Thanks for all the input. I think what has happened is that the management has changed. The lady in charge now has a terrible personality. I was told in the past that the home office regulates what they can stock.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:45 AM

Sorry to hear that happened. The Handcocks in Toledo is really nice, but the JO-ANNS is getting a lil trashy. Now that I moved, the Handcocks has closed and the JO-ANNS here is ssooooooo awesome! They even have the super stores here.I would rather support a local quilt shop for what they want for fabric now! Its crazy what JO-ANNS charge for their calico wall. Shop in the red tag area, I have found alot of really cool stuff in there.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:21 AM

Our closest Hancocks is very helpful; they just remodeled and got rid of all the home furnishings and increased the fabric space, and have a huge table for cutting in the center of the store. They are always willing to help in any way they can.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:40 AM

While in Indianapolis during the holidays, my DIL took me to Joann's there. Wanted me to see it and new I would probably grow roots there. I swear, it must have covered 1/4 of a square block. She said it was the largest in the US. Ohooooooo, did I have fun. Couldn't buy too much because of extra luggage on the plane. It was a blast while it lasted.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:43 AM

i'm in kansas city and i can tell you our store is the same , you wait forever and maybe you get help, the store is always a mess, and they are always......short handed, i like the idea of a smaller store and quite frankly they have more of the fabric i like , however i have made my last 5 or 6 purches at JoAnne because of this very thing.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:55 AM

A friend recently went to purchase the Bamboo batting on sale at Hancocks. They didn't have any large size in the package so she asked if they could cut off the roll. The answer was yes, she had 2 pieces cut, one for her, one for me, but at the checkout was told the register wouldn't accept the sale price. The manager was called, she refused to honor the sale price saying it was packaged batts only, which the flyer did not state. Long story short, she declined to purchase the cut batts, (after a 40 miles round trip!) and emailed the Hancock headquarters with this story. A couple of hours later her phone rang, the store agreed to the sale and held the batts for her next trip in town. Sometimes it's worth the extra effort to seek a solution. But I agree that not all Hancock's are equal.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:42 AM

The internet is a wonderful thing. It's not just to air complaints to those of us that will lend a sympathetic ear but also can be used to tell someone that can actually DO something about it. Contact corporate headquarters and tell them! They can't improve the store if they don't know how badly it's being managed. That's the first thing I do if I have an ongoing problem. (Walmart Corporation should have my email address memorized by now) I also tell headquarters of stores when I've had exceptionally good service.

Too bad you all aren't closer to Champaign, Illinois. Our Hancocks, Joanns, Hobby Lobby and LQS's are wonderful! The sales staff are always helpful and accomodating. Only one time have I ever had a problem and that was in Joann's----new person--didn't last long.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:13 AM

I loved my Hancock's. It was literally on the corner in my neighborhood. I could go there without crossing any major streets! The staff were all very friendly and accommodating. When it closed, I lost the convenience of a close store-- then the 2 close Joann's closed also. I have to travel 10 miles to find a fabric store! The closest one is now my LQS which is great for quilting but not for other sewing needs.
The one plus when Hancock's closed is that I purchased a TON of fabrics as the prices dropped.
I do love Connecting Threads and buy a lot of fabric thru them on-line.