Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
boycotting Hancock fabric in my community >

boycotting Hancock fabric in my community

boycotting Hancock fabric in my community

Old 04-29-2010, 06:19 AM

I've been to that Hancock's in Winston Salem when I was working in the area. I came away being very thankful that it's not where I have to shop for fabric - not impressive at all. Hancock's in Greensboro is better, and I like our JoAnn's.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:54 AM

I worked at Hancocks until they closed because they didn't make enough sales. They use employees in the store based on sales. When sales are down, the employees hours are down. If you run across a bad employee, report it immediately. (There is a form the manager keeps that you can request that can be sent to the District Office. You can complain on it or brag about the store and the store manager will be contacted.) Also, let the manager know that you are interested in more quilting fabric, sometimes they can accomodate you and order a line of quilting fabric and see how it sells. I worked in the district that goes from St. Louis, Missouri to Champaigne, Illinois. The district manager took any any bad comments to the store manager. Any good comments were also passed forward.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:09 AM

Most of the Hancock's here in the Houston area closed a few years ago ... no surprise there

Our local one was always poorly staffed, poorly stocked, very disorganized and so out of date (esp. for quilting items) that it was just total frustration to even set foot in there ...
Old 04-29-2010, 08:36 AM

Hi charlene, most likely you will be loosing your Hancock's in the near future. They took ours out. The store was always full. Bad decision of their part as Hancock's tends to carry different types of fabric than JoAnn's. I hope I am wrong.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:04 AM

Get in touch with the home office.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:54 PM

The ones in the St. Louis area were just remodeled. I have checked out two of the three nearest me, and I have been impressed. They have fat quarters and quilting stuff toward the ront of the store. Good decision. They had not fully restocked, but seemed to be concentrating on quilting stuff first.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:19 PM

I'm glad to hear that others have had disappointing trips to Hancocks. I avoid them whenever possible. They are the closest fabric shop to our home but I'd rather drive another 25-30 minutes to go to JoAnns. Besides, they lack personality!
Old 04-29-2010, 08:19 PM

I went with a friend a long time ago to Hancock's to return some fabric she had purchased for a mystery quilt to be held at our local quilt shop. She went to the "clearance" table and got 4 different polka dot fabrics...3 all cotton, 1 with rayon or something in it. When ironed the one with rayon shrunk...she took the small pieces back to the temporary manager....and, I was surprised at this, but she got better fabric (not clearance) to replace the unfortunate mistake...the friend blamed the clerk for her buying the wrong fabric. I never did understand this, and was shocked to see it come about in front of my own eyes, or I wouldn't have believed it. Can you really blame a clerk for you picking out and purchasing the wrong fabric? Can they be held responsible for your mistake?
Old 04-29-2010, 08:43 PM

In reading the comments on here I had to laugh. So many of you say "I'd rather drive 30 minutes to go to ....." or saying things about the stores being in your neighborhood.
The LQS's, Joanns, Hobby Lobby and Hancocks that I refered to earlier and call 'local' are all at least 30-40 minutes away. I only refer to it as a "road trip to the fabric store" if I go to a store an hour or so away. I live in a little rural town where you can't even buy a needle or spool of thread. LOL
Old 04-29-2010, 08:46 PM

I absolutely hate the Hancock's in Katy, TX. It is the worst store. Not only is the manager snotty, but the fabric is always a mess and they NEVER take the coupons (there's always some excuse that they make up). So, I vowed never to go into the store and I don't! I also told all my quilting friends about it too and they don't patonize them either.