Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What iron and ironing board do you recommend? >

What iron and ironing board do you recommend?

What iron and ironing board do you recommend?

Old 05-01-2010, 07:53 AM

I, too, have the Rowenta Professional and it is the best iron I have ever bought. I love the fact that it does not turn off. I've had it over five years.

In order to turn it on and off, I plugged it in to an extension cord I found at a hardware store that has a BIG, round push button. The "button" has a flat surface, so I just keep it on the floor and step on it whenever I want to turn my iron on/off.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Chay
Sharon Schamber has a good video on making a pressing board of any size. I made one and set it on top of my regular ironing board; it hangs over the edge but is very sturdy. What I like is that it's firm, not mushy like a regular ironing board. Mine is about 24x24" and holds a 12" square with room for the iron, pins, etc. to sit.
I'm about to make one of these boards, too. In fact, I am considering making a small one to put beside my machine and a large one that can be used for large pieces or entire quilt tops. It makes sense to me that it is easy to distort when the pressing surface is too soft. I am doing a better job of pressing now and I can tell the difference.

:D :-D :-D :-D
Old 05-01-2010, 10:36 AM

I have a Philips, it work really fine by me.
IKEA has sold old fashioned wooden iron boards, I made the cover myself. It's the greatest ironboard I ever had.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:29 PM

I have this oversized board from Wal-mart and have had it 4 or 5 year, and I love it.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:07 PM

I have an old ironing board that I don't even remember where I got it. My brother just visited last month and made the board top for me . I still have to put the batting and cover on as soon as I get some staples for my stapler. besides I had to wait until I was cleared to pick up anything over 5 lbs. Really puts a stop on a lot of things.
I found an iron that most people have never heard of and I love it. It does have automatic turn off but its no big deal because it gets hot fast . I have had it about 2 years maybe a little more and it has never leaked on me. It has a good size base so it doesn't tip easy. I got it at Target it made by T-Fal. $ 40. I am going to get another for a back up because every time I find something I like they stop making it. A friend of my daughters was just visiting and needed to iron his dress shirt. He bought the Rowenta and he said within a month it had ruined shirts leaking. He is going to look for one like mine.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:29 PM

OMG you guys!!! I just paid 200 bucks for an iron!! It's a seriously awesome iron!! It's a Euro ... something or other and it has an internal boiler and puts out serious steam.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:00 PM

[quote=MarthaT]. It's hard to find one that doesn't turn off automatically. I guess the auto-turn-off must be designed for people who just iron clothes and leave and forget to turn them off. Not for sewers who may be at the machine for 10 minutes before they want to use the iron again.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:09 PM
Power Poster

I bought the pad and cover from Big Board -

the pad seems to be about a 1/8 inch firm polyester craft type batting/filling

the top is a cotton twill with an elastic cord - it would have been better if it had been cut at least three inches longer.

it shrinks when I wash it - even in cold water - so I have to put it back on the board when it's still fairy damp to make it fit

I pin three strips of elastic under the board to help keep the top from popping off

i do like to be able to wash the cover.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:11 PM

Hmm.... not sure how I got Martha's quote up there without my comment.
The auto shut off is for people like me and I hardly ever iron clothes. I walked past my ironing board one day and my iron was hot and I had not been sewing for about 3 days. that is why I wouldn't have anything else. I recently bought a Hamilton Beach that I really like. It is a 3 way auto shut off. It has three large buttons on the side that light up,low medium and high and an off button. The light flashes while it is heating, It beeps once when it reaches the right temp, it beeps 3 times when it is going to shut off and the light flashes till you pick it up and it starts to heat again. I don't get any surprizes when it has shut off. I really hope it lasts, this is the second one the first one I bought never got hot enough. I liked the features so much I took it back for another of the same.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:55 PM

i buy my irons at Wal mart for around 15.00 and have no problem with them , the last one i bought was over a year ago and it is still working !! as far as the quilters ironing boards go they do sell them and they are very exspensive