Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What am I missing in this brainstorm????? >

What am I missing in this brainstorm?????

What am I missing in this brainstorm?????

Old 05-01-2010, 05:25 AM
Banned

[quote=sewcrafty]If at all possible, get your material where you are!! I'm doing the 2 level thing and honestly it gets annoying!! Go downstairs and pick out fabric, take it to sunroom (lots of light) try to decide, then think oh I can use this color, back downstairs!!

I'm with sewcrafty. If you'd be too cramped taking all your fabric down, at least take down everything you'll use for a couple of projects. If you're worried about light exposure put them in dark coloured plastic boxes. Stacked, they don't take up much room. I bought some 3x4 stick-on labels at Staples so I can tell at a glance what's in each box.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:11 AM

sounds like a terrific idea - can we come play in your new space?
Old 05-01-2010, 08:38 AM

I think we are going to "have to have" a party!!

Alikat, I went to the Overstock.com site and viewed the Lifetime 4x2 fold in half table #12514621. With three adjustable heights (22, 29, and 36 in.) this should be ideal. The table should also be easy to store/relocate.
I was completely unaware of the adjustable features and had even wondered about using an existing table with PVC for risers....:-(

I've placed my order for one table. :-( I'm on my way courtesy of all of the Board Members who have graciously shared ideas. Yes, I probably will keep the majority of my items in the family room and have room for friends to sew, too.

Anything I purchase at this stage of my life has to have more than one use. If and when we downsize to an apartment, I will be limited as to what we can bring along.

We have an unbelievable amount of storage built-ins in this home ranging from cabinets, closets, bookcases, etc. It is amazing how quickly one can fill up the space....ugh :-(

Thank you, each and everyone who has viewed/replied for giving me the motivation to create a space which is beautiful, useful and welcoming. I treasure you!!!
Old 05-01-2010, 09:34 AM

You don't have to have a whole big vacuum cleaner. Get one of those battery powered rolling sweepers (like the ones we used to have without batteries.) They work quite well and should be less than $50 from Wal-Mart or similar place. I've found mine to be perfect for neatening up after I've been sewing.
Elizabeth
Old 05-01-2010, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by katmom54
mini fridge
My thoughts too. I'm getting one for my studio.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by kay carlson
Now that I've retired, I decided to upgrade the ceiling lighting fixtures and ceiling tiles in our lower level family room. We rarely use the room, but after seeing how wonderful the space is lit with natural and overhead lighting, I'd be crazy to not use this as my sewing room.

I could take two bookcases downstairs to hold all of my 3-ring notebooks and quilting books/ magazines.

The antique pie safe could hold misc. items and my two portable rolling chests provide plenty of storage for tools and offer counter height cutting surfaces.

My sewing table is portable. I could use a rectangular folding table as a surface for my Big Board.

My fabric stash will remain upstairs in a hallway closet - clean and away from sunlight. I can easily "shop" upstairs and keep clutter to a minimum.

I would have access to radio, tv and phone. My husband and I could also visit by using two rocking chairs.

I would just love to leave my projects in one area and not have the clutter on our main level......not to mention the spillovers from my cramped sewing quarters in our laundry room.

What haven't I considered? Your input will be treasured!!

Thank you, in advance :-)
Ironing space?
Old 05-01-2010, 01:31 PM

Surprisingly, one thing I'm glad to have in my craft room is a small sink! (Granted, I do more than quilt, but it still is nice to have for filling an iron, or handwashing a small scrap of fabric, etc.)
Old 05-01-2010, 01:44 PM

This sound great, please share picture when your done
Old 05-01-2010, 02:16 PM

My sewing room is in the basement. In addition to everything you mentioned, I would suggest a large cutting table. Mine is 9ft by 9ft. Great for laying out and squaring quilts. If you only make smaller items maybe a 6ft by 6ft would be good. ENJOY...ENJOY!!!
Old 05-01-2010, 02:27 PM

It sounds great already, but I agree with outlets, outlets, outlets. That and the lights are what I woul change in my room.