Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cotton fabric costs are going up >

Cotton fabric costs are going up

Cotton fabric costs are going up

Old 05-01-2010, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Longarm
Just think what the oil spill in the Gulf is going to do to gas prices, PLUS THE DAMAGE TO THE ENVIRONMENT!!

Just another reason for the shippers to raise their prices.

If the fabric was made in this country instead of overseas we may not have to pay as much. I know the labor may be lots cheaper in China but that is no excuse for the manufacturers to put americans out of work and then make us pay and pay for the shipping. And since the bottom line is the driving factor the prices will continue to rise if we purchase less.

Perhaps we should write the manufacturers and demand american made.
Most of Moda's fabrics are made in the USA. Pellon products(stabilizers, fleece for quilting, etc.) are made in the USA. I try to buy Made in the USA products as much as possible, read labels and research. By the way, Brahmin handbags are the only handbags still made in the USA, in Massachusetts to be exact. 2 yrs ago they started making their 'cheaper line' of fashion bags in China, but most of their handbags are still made in the USA. Their handbags will last you a lifetime, such quality, but they are expensive.
Kind Regards,
MaryAnna
Old 05-01-2010, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by thismomquilts
Connecting Threads fabric IS made in this country!!! BUY AMERICAN!!! When a friend of mine went to Marshalls Dry Goods to order fabric every one of her choices was 'out of stock' -someone must be buying alot :)... Frugality will get us all through this time...
I love Connecting Threads! Their fabric is soft and easy to work with...I'm planning to order some of the new patriotic line once I'm back to sewing after surgery....
Old 05-01-2010, 03:50 PM

Dont forget to check "freecycle" as well (Craigs list in the free section as well)... I'm always seeing "fabric" giveaways!!
Old 05-01-2010, 05:39 PM

Huh. All I ever see in the "Freebies" are broken lawn chairs, washers that don't work, couches that look like elephants sat on them......you get the picture
Old 05-02-2010, 06:43 PM
Power Poster

I see the freebies on Freecycle too, but you have to be SO fast, I am never fast enough to get any, LOL!
Old 05-02-2010, 07:40 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by Woodster
Favorite Fabrics - I see you're from Upstate NY. My husband built houses in the Eagle Heights subdivision, and we were both born at Buffalo General!
Woodster, those Eagle Heights homes are beautiful. I don't know how long you've been away from the area, but if it's been a while, please tell your husband that the neighborhood has aged gracefully, and that the landscaping around all those lovely homes is just beautiful, especially this time of year as everything comes into bloom. It's still one of the most in-demand areas.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:04 PM

Same at JoAnn's. Unfortunately, that means we won't be shopping as much and will start looking for other ways to find a bargain. Let's all write the corporate offices and protest.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
Bad news! We have to pay a lot more money here in Europe for our fabrics... for a high quality one about 16 or 17 Euros per meter, this is about 20$ per yard. I'm glad my stash is filled with material for the next 25 years I think.

:| Cotton is not exactly inexpensive in America but Good Grief!!! $20 per yard, what makes it so expensive in Europe? How does the casual quilter afford to create a Fabric Stash at those prices/
Old 05-03-2010, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by skjquiltnut
Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
Bad news! We have to pay a lot more money here in Europe for our fabrics... for a high quality one about 16 or 17 Euros per meter, this is about 20$ per yard. I'm glad my stash is filled with material for the next 25 years I think.

:| Cotton is not exactly inexpensive in America but Good Grief!!! $20 per yard, what makes it so expensive in Europe? How does the casual quilter afford to create a Fabric Stash at those prices/
yes it is true...quilting fabric is expensive in Europe...exactly I only know it from Switzerland, it is in comparison from 20 $ and up...the reason,the lack of quilters , so there isn't a big market !!!
Old 05-03-2010, 12:21 PM

I'm going on vacation, and when I do, I hope to get some.