Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design board - self adhesive to the wall >

Design board - self adhesive to the wall

Design board - self adhesive to the wall

Old 05-01-2010, 08:53 PM

I,too, made my own wall, but what I used was a very large plastic tablecloth that has a flannel backing that was bought years ago for Christmas. I put it on wall using push pins and it holds really great. It is large enough that I pieced a full size quilt on it and was big enough to hold it. It reaches from the ceiling to the floor. Might try that if you don't want big holes in the wall.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by nannyrie
I,too, made my own wall, but what I used was a very large plastic tablecloth that has a flannel backing that was bought years ago for Christmas. I put it on wall using push pins and it holds really great. It is large enough that I pieced a full size quilt on it and was big enough to hold it. It reaches from the ceiling to the floor. Might try that if you don't want big holes in the wall.
I have the same thing going on, I have used this for years now and it works great. Every once in awhile I take a lint roller to mine to take off any threads that seem to be hanging on. Thought I would buy on that had grids on it but then it came down to $ that I would much rather spend of fabric.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:49 AM
cae

Try using a felt "crossword puzzle" wall block - large enough for placing blocks just by pressing by hand, no need for pins, etc. Just need to push-pin the upper corners to keep block on wall. Mother-in-law gave to hubby, which I "took over".....measures 3' x 4'. Works well.

cae
Old 05-02-2010, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by gail-r
I made my own just a few weeks ago. I got a peice of white foam insulation board from Home Depot, it was already cut to 4' x 2'x1" (you could get a big 4' x 8' if you want bigger) then I used plain white flannel and spray adheasive and covered the top and sides of the board. Then used double sided carpet tape to stick it to the wall. Works great and very inexpensive. I think the board was 1.99, flannel 2.99 and tape was 2.97. I had spray adheasive at home.
great idea.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by shaverg
I use the 3M hanger that you can stick to the wall, but pull off easily without damaging the wall. I use the vecro ones. My design board is foam core covered in flanel.
I couldn't visualize the Block Butler suggested in the previous post because of the small pictures, but I think I will give this one a try. Those 3M hangers are great. I've used the ones with the hanging hooks, but I've never used the Velcro ones. Now's the time. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:59 AM

I spent the "big bucks" for the Block Butler thinking it was the answer to all my problems. It will only stick to the wall once or twice and the block will only stick to it about the same. I followed all instructions and stored it with its protective plastic and what a waste of time and energy. I threw it out! You could purchase a piece of foam core board (size of a sheet of plywood), cover it with a flannel sheet and lean it up against a wall or just use masking tape to put the flannel sheet on your wall - it won't harm the wall and pieces stick to it beautifully.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Crickett Sweet
I spent the "big bucks" for the Block Butler thinking it was the answer to all my problems. It will only stick to the wall once or twice and the block will only stick to it about the same. I followed all instructions and stored it with its protective plastic and what a waste of time and energy. I threw it out! You could purchase a piece of foam core board (size of a sheet of plywood), cover it with a flannel sheet and lean it up against a wall or just use masking tape to put the flannel sheet on your wall - it won't harm the wall and pieces stick to it beautifully.
I wrote to the company twice and also e-mailed them asking how to get the glue residue off the wall. No response ever.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:12 AM

I would save the 505 for my projects..too expensive. Try using the cheaper stuff like June Taylor. I;ve never had good luck with it on projects, but might work great on a door or wall!! LOL
Old 05-02-2010, 06:24 AM

I LOVE that idea, Gail! I'm going to try it!
Old 05-02-2010, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by adriansmom
I would save the 505 for my projects..too expensive. Try using the cheaper stuff like June Taylor. I;ve never had good luck with it on projects, but might work great on a door or wall!! LOL
Actually, I had a can that was nearly empty and not spraying well. I got enough to do the back of the door. I found the overspray easy to wash away too....The flannel hasn't loosened at all......

Ditter