Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
stash organization - I've got it all! >

stash organization - I've got it all!

stash organization - I've got it all!

Old 05-03-2010, 12:37 PM

Basically I'm doing the same method as this one by alaskasunshine:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43871-1.htm

I just got some other supplies mentioned on this board that other people use to see which I like best. I love the colorplast boards but it's expensive unless you have a connection with a sign shop.
If you have a sign shop near you talk to them. Maybe they will give you a deal.
The cake boards are made for sheet cakes and are just like the colorplast except they are all corrugated cardboard and cheaper.
If you get them with a Joann coupon they are about $3.60 for 6 and you can cut each board into 4 for 24 boards.
I am finding the comic book boards are nice also especially for smaller pieces of fabric.
I'll just use what I have until I'm done then if I ever have to get more I'll figure out which I like best and get those.
I don't want to use regular paper clips because the metal sometimes marks the fabric so that why the plastic and vinyl coated.
:-D
Old 05-03-2010, 05:39 PM

I'm thinking scrap quilts. Make one for everyone you know and love, your kids' school teachers... there really IS an end to scraps. Promise! Make up some blocks and decide which ones you like best, and go from there.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:58 PM

Thank you Susiequilt. I am going to get started on mine too. I really need to organize so I can see fabric I have. It will take some time as I have three walls of shelves full of stacked fabric. But the end result will so be worth it.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:50 PM

Man it looks like this has started a wildfire. I guess we are all in the same boat with our stash in tubs etc.
I got started and have been going through all the tubs that I have drug over from the room over the garage. But it is to cold to work over there in the winter,NO HEAT except for space heater. So all winter I bring a tub over and quilt with it.
At this point I have 8+ tubs that I have been surging the raw edge of the fabric then wash & Iron then put on "PolarNotions" boards. These are just like Alaska Suns.
Today I ironed 18 pieces of fabric and put them on the folding boards. Oh my back is killing me Ouch!
I plan to re do the back bedroom and I have my eye on some neat book shelve cabinets at Ikea that have glass doors that are just about air tight and will keep the dust off the nice clean fabric.
It looks like we all have the "BUG" Heck who can resist after looking at the neat and tiddy inspiration.
Also I have found all sorts of surprises like fabric that I have bought twice. i won't confess to how many of these I have found. But I do admit that it is like Christmas that's for sure.
Have fun Gals and more power and energy to all of us.
kjym Kathy
Old 05-03-2010, 08:38 PM

I have a friend who stops in whenshe can and we were talking about the amount of fabric that I had accumulated. I had two tall jelly jar pantries, painted them black. Laid the slide proof stuff on the sheleves, total of 5 counting the bottom. I then used a 6" by 24" ruler and unfolded the fabric. Left it folded in half length wise, and then folded maybe three inches over the ruler to get a fix and proceeded to then fold the ruler down the fabric as I pulled the fabric up towards me. When I got just about to the end, I tucked the end under, slide the ruler out and then folded the 6" width of fabricin half. My shelves were long enough to hold 5 sets of fabric and the shelves were wide enough that the foloded fabric fit perfectly. I placed the fabrics in so that thefold was pointing out. Lorry and I spent the day folding fabric and kinda getting a visual for how I wanted to put it away. I also have a tall slender inexpensive pantry with two doors and I used basket in there for my fat quarters. I had picked up some very inexpensive wicker bedroom furniture and was able to place pre-cut kits that I had made up, children and animal fabrics and ended p prety much having a place for almost everything. The rest of the stuff, i.e. pillows, batting and muslin, find see thru storage bins and stacked them under my cutting table. I still had to buy two of the cubics on wheels with the pull out bins, three bins high and slide them under the space where my cover would open up for my sewing machines. It took me and two of my friends off and on for abouta week or two as I couldn't and can't work for more then an hour or so. But I can now pull pretty much anything I want and only have to pick up maybe one or two fabrics once in a while. But when I see something new come out and it attacks my senses, I check my cash flow for fun things and if I can, get what I can and as much as I can as I know ifI don't that particular line of fabric will disappair quickly. Every one eventually has a system that works for them. And if you have that one or two dear friends that know you and you all enjoy each other, it can turn a rough day into a very happy and cheerful day.

I wish you well.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:36 PM
Banned

you could always send some my way :-D God bless. Penny
Old 05-04-2010, 12:53 AM

I ALSO HAD A BIG MESS THAT NEEDED TO BE STRAIGHTENED OUT. ONCE I GOT INTO ONE TUB AND FIXED THE MESS I WAS SO HAPPY I BREAZED THROUGH MY 6 MORE TUBS IN TWO DAYS. TAKE A BREAK INBETWEEN BUT YOU'LL BE SURPRISED HOW QUICKLY IT WILL BE DONE.YOUR LUCKY, I JUST FOLDED MINE. I DIDNT HAVE ALL YOUR FANCY HELPERS!! GOOD LUCK
Old 05-04-2010, 12:56 AM

Susie,
Have you started yet? I will come help, if necessary!
You will enjoy it after the first 30 minutes, it's the beginning that is the hardest.

Enjoy yourself!
Hugs,
MJ
Old 05-04-2010, 12:58 AM

I ALSO HAD A BIG MESS THAT NEEDED TO BE STRAIGHTENED OUT. ONCE I GOT INTO ONE TUB AND FIXED THE MESS I WAS SO HAPPY I BREAZED THROUGH MY 6 MORE TUBS IN TWO DAYS. TAKE A BREAK INBETWEEN BUT YOU'LL BE SURPRISED HOW QUICKLY IT WILL BE DONE.YOUR LUCKY, I JUST FOLDED MINE. I DIDNT HAVE ALL YOUR FANCY HELPERS!! GOOD LUCK
Old 05-04-2010, 07:24 AM

I wait for pictures of the room allll organized! and I have not followed the chats on the things you needed to do the job. So I am not sure of what cake boards,comic book boards or colorplast boards are? I know they will be used in the organizing of your fabric, but I am uncertain what they are!!