Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
LQS questions?? >

LQS questions??

LQS questions??

Old 05-03-2010, 04:25 PM

Great topic. I have three LQS within reasonable drive and three more that are a hike. I would love the closest one (11 miles away)to carry more staples like Ginny Beyer's Palette, a good selection of Kona solids and 50 and 60 weight Metler cotton threads. Am I the only one looking for those items? Otherwise they have all the positive qualities mentioned here.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
"Should they offer coupons from Joanns etc.??"

Huh? Sorry, I don't get it?
We have a LQS that accepts Joanns coupons one Saturday a month. One coupon per customer.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:49 PM

Great topic! Thanks. First in response to your question: Should they offer coupons from Joanns etc.?? Did you mean should they Honor a Jo Ann Coupon? If that was what you were implying, then No, I don't. It is not their place to honor a Jo Anns coupon anymore than it is Jo Anns place to give me however many $ off, after I get so many punches filled on my card after spending so many $ @ the LQS. Jo Ann's is a major Chain Store.

I would love to see great lighting in all Quilt shops. I am fortunate here that they let me wander, browse, drool, whatever, but they also know that if I need or want some help, I will go and ask "Would one of you girls please come help me out?"
I understand the rising costs of fabric. May not love it but understand it. Insurance also has skyrocketed. So figure that in for the LQS prices. Utitlities are certainly not getting cheaper. So Discounted sections in the LQS would be great when they can. Staff being well experienced in various aspects of our craft is great! From choosing color & tecture of fabric to the quilting thread & patterns.
I do love getting the staff's opinion when I need it. The Samples with the patterns available are great. Even if the exact fabric is no longer available, a similar one is usually to be found there. All in all, I guess better lighting is all I would like to see in the LQS I frequent the most.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Power Poster

My LQS is wonderful. They are so helpful. And the fabrics are organized. My DGD comes with me and they let her bond with the fabrics too. They know a future quilter when they see one.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:20 AM

My favorite QS is The Great American Quilt Factory in Denver. It's a bit of a drive, but try to go every two or three months. Lots of sample quilts hanging up, great selection of fabrics, wonderful staff. Just a great place to spend a few hours and dollars!
Old 05-04-2010, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by babyquilter
My favorite QS is The Great American Quilt Factory in Denver. It's a bit of a drive, but try to go every two or three months. Lots of sample quilts hanging up, great selection of fabrics, wonderful staff. Just a great place to spend a few hours and dollars!
Oh, you are so right. I used to live in Denver and that was my absolute favorite store. Whenever I go back to visit I have to visit my favorite shops. There is another shop off of County Line @ Holly (King Soopers strip mall).
Old 05-04-2010, 11:19 AM

My first thought was that the shop must have a great selection of fabrics.

What impresses me about my LQS is the friendliness of the staff, the many completed quilts to see, she will order what you want or need, great shopping hours, and they really promote commraderie (sp) to the point where you become involved in the shop. I also like when a salesperson comes in and we get to see new fabrics and give our opinions.

I cut fats and help prep her for quilt shows in exchange for use of the HQ Fusion. Another quilter makes her kits in exchange for a discount on fabrics. There is another lady who makes the quilt tops on display, and she has open sewing time in the classroom to bring in your projects and work on them and EVERYONE in the shop helps with issues for the new quilters. We are not 'paid' employees, but love to be there in such a great atmosphere. It's tough to hire in these times, so this barter system works out great for all involved.

My biggest problem is that while cutting the fats, I start to see more projects come to light and I just can't afford it all!
Old 05-04-2010, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by dsb38327
What do I want from a Quilting Store:
I want to walk in the front door and enter la-la land. I want to browse and dream and create and touch and feel and smell and pick up a fabric, enjoy it, put it back and pick up another one. I want to be able to compare prices and feel like I got the biggest bang for my buck. I want to dash over for the specials and sales and I want to be so much at home there they will know my face and name when I come. I want to go home with stash and be planning my next trip back before I get my stash unpacked. I want to be excited about the adventure.
I :-D :-D :-D :-D ME TOOOOOOO...I want to feel like home in a quiltstore !!!
Old 05-04-2010, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Hockeyrabbit
Hi-

Out of curiosity, are there things that you would like to see change/different in the local QS?? How would you want fabric arranged, color/designer/type? What special things would you like/want the LQS to offer? Should they offer coupons from Joanns etc.??

I am curious as I just went to a store about a week ago and it was just a mess! I had to leave after 20 minutes..bolts of fabric everywhere, just totally disorganized..it got me thinking!
I have always loved my LQS - so many fabrics with a very friendly set-up. They always offered a 10% discount to quilt guild members. I went in last month and was very disappointed - they have a long-arm at the door when you walk in - the fabric isn't arranged the same and they removed one of the cutting tables. They also stopped the 10% discount and changed to a card that gets punched - but not on sale items. And on clearance items, you must now buy 2 yards minimum. I'm not feeling this.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Banned

I just want the money to buy the fabric/batting. God bless. Penny