Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Jane Stickle 's Journey >

Jane Stickle 's Journey

Jane Stickle 's Journey

Old 05-06-2010, 04:41 PM

Oh, Riley. What majesty. Like everyone, I am also in total awe of both you and your quilt. I have only today come across your post and the picture. It's truly spectacular.
Also like others, I too have a couple of questions (hope you don't mind after all this time):
what sort of support did you use for the hand piecing - i.e. vyline, tissue paper, regular copy paper;
how much background fabric did you use for the quilt? I have the DJ software which gives that info, but the variations between methodologies seem wildly different. I figure you would be able to tell from first-hard experience
Again, congratulations. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:20 PM

Wow , what a beautiful quilt.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:57 PM

I looked at this header & thought, "Oh! Someone is doing a Jane Stickle quilt too!" Yep, I have indeed lost it! I guess everyone knew that but me? :)

I am not 100% sure what you mean by "support" (I am old & more than nuts!)unless you are asking abt the method I used for transferring pattern to finished object? If so (if not, please ask again) I used reg white card stock(cheap as I could find) to print my patterns from the Dear Jane © software. Used papar scissors & cut them out.

I did include the seam allowance & then I will use a tiny craft punch(1/16th) to punch the Intersecting points(registration marks is what they become) so I can mark them on my fabric.(A machine needle also works well to do this)I trace around the pattern piece with a fine point mechanical pencil & then cut the pieces out(scissors! Yes, I do!) I will pin the appropriate pieces together using the registration marks that I marked & then stitch between.I am basically connecting the dots, the pins (or registration marks) becoming the dots. If it is a tricky area to stitch, I will mark my seam allowance.

Hand piecing probably uses abt half the fabric that PP uses. I am guessing ( I had a bolt of 40 yards) I used abt 12 to 15 yards of background.

If this was not what you were asking, please explain further & I will do my best to answer.I don't mind at all, I am excited to think someone else is interested in doing something I enjoyed!

Thank you (you too, Buffy) for your kind words!
Old 05-06-2010, 06:04 PM

This will definitely be a heirloom! Beautiful work!
Old 05-06-2010, 11:11 PM

Hi, Riley.
Thanks for your response. You pretty much hit the nail on the head in your reply. I was intending to piece through the foundation paper (or vylene, or whatever) and all, along the stitching line traced onto the foundation.
I certainly don't believe I have the skills to do what you did and stitch from one marker point to another. My whole project would go totally AWOL without exact lines to follow.
By "support" I meant the paper or vylene, or whatever that the design is traced onto, which I would then follow to stitch through all layers.
I didn't really want the bulk of leaving something in there forever after stitching; nor did I want to dunk the whole block in water to dissolve the foundation, and I was wondering how you did it.
As for the amount of fabric: I have just come back from my LQS, who will have to order it in for me. I will be able to have pretty much whatever fabric I want, as DH gave me the Kaffe Fausset V&A Book and a $200 gift voucher for Christmas last and I decided the Dear Jane background material might be a good thing to use it on.
I can hardly wait to get started, and will count myself extremely clever if my quilt turns out half as good as yours.
Thanks again.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:31 PM

Wow, thats a journey alright. Its very pretty.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:45 PM

Hi there Riley, i found this thread by chance as there is a Cyber sew going on with the Jane Stickle quilt and there are quite a few participants. One of our Group has actually finished this mammoth task (Lacelady) and if you want to have a look at what we are all up to check out on the Search button Jane Stickle Week 1. We are now up to week 32 so you will have to search all the weeks but to view Lacelady´s quilt which she completed in 7 months (I kid you not) go to her blog in the Home section.

Your quilt is wonderful and I wonder how you are getting along. I dread the thought of hand quilting it and I am going to use the QAYG method as did Lacelady.

Elle
Old 08-18-2010, 02:26 PM

Beautiful and so incredibly impressive.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:27 PM

I am going to make a Dear Jane one of these days. Yours is gorgeous!
Old 08-18-2010, 02:29 PM

Just gorgeous!