Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
None existent British quilting >

None existent British quilting

None existent British quilting

Old 05-07-2010, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by bev195000
Hi,
Thank you for your lovely reply and quilting is such a rewarding and busy thing to do it keeps you going and at the end of it you have produced a beautiful quilt and it does make you feel proud of yourself.
Happy quilting
Hi Bev, whereabouts in the UK are you?
Old 05-07-2010, 09:12 AM

Thank you ever so much for that knowledge of Birmingham quilting i never knew this and i will be going to this it does sound right up my street and i know i will be in my element lol
Old 05-07-2010, 09:16 AM

Hi There,
That is what people say to me its always things like {why do you waste your money on fabric and cottons etc it gets me so mad so i know how you felt there but i am glad to hear you have found some freinds who have the quilting bug it makes it all worth while and it must be great for people to actually say good things about quilting in person to you
Happy Quilting
Old 05-07-2010, 09:18 AM

Hi There,
I totally agree with you this website and forum is fantastic there are so many friendly people on here with so much info and pictures of beautiful quilts it makes my day finish perfect when i come onto this website
Happy Quilting
Old 05-07-2010, 09:20 AM

Lol a bit of Yorkshire tang there pmsl
Happy Quilting
Old 05-07-2010, 09:43 AM

Bev - you have my FULL SYMPATHY!!!

I started quilting at 9, in rural Bedfordshire and I have grown up with this 'problem'!

You are right about difficulties getting fabrics etc - but I have found over the years, that there are more quilters than you think! Maybe not in your village but probably not SO FAR away!

Do you drive? If so - may I suggest that you drive into just one or two quilters guild or Embroiderers guild meetings - you only have to go once or twice (I really DO know how hard it can be to drive miles for these things!) Once you are there, you are SURE to meet someone nearer to home and then you will at least have a buddy!!

If not - PM me anytime and I will be happy to be an Over the Irish Sea quilting buddy via email!!

PB
Old 05-07-2010, 09:59 AM

While I was visiting Franch (Paris) I went to Montmartre I went down a street that was full of fabric. I bought only 1 meter of fabric but it was a great experience.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:03 AM

Hello Bev, I'm in South Yorkshire ...its good to see another member of the forum from the UK! I don't know of any quilting groups around where I live either but I have joined a sewing group where a couple of ladies like to quilt! The trouble is that I dont like hand quilting so I usually stick to my embroidery! (I'm learning to do stumpwork embroidery at the moment)
I suggest that you try to find a local sewing group to start with...I'm sure that you'll find a couple of quilters amongst the members!

Good luck

Karen xx
Old 05-07-2010, 10:13 AM

Hi Bev. Welcome! I hope you can find some local quilters. I too had quilted alone for the past 4 years. I didn't really feel I wanted to join a guild so just plugged along learning all I could from books, TV shows, and this board especially. Well, it just so happens that last New Years Eve I was at a neighborhood party and while speaking to a neighbor discovered she quilted. She and I decided to get together to quilt and she invited several other neighbors that she knew quilted or wanted to learn. We now are starting to get together as a group once a month or so. It's amazing to me that all this time I had a group of inspired quilters right in my back yard. :-)
Old 05-07-2010, 10:27 AM

I am amazed that you feel like this! There is a thriving quilting community in the UK which I am happy to be part of. There are many UK members of this Forum. Even if you live in deepest darkest Uk, there are many shops that will send you samples and then you can buy fabric. There is a quilt show somewhere in the Uk at least every few months - and those are just the large national kinds. Have you tried the local quilting Guild? Your mobile library for adverts? Nowhere in the Uk is far from anywhere else by comparison with the US so you could maybe treat yourself to to trip to a large town or show?