Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
None existent British quilting >

None existent British quilting

None existent British quilting

Old 05-08-2010, 01:35 AM

What wonderful information for our English member!
This if such a wonderful board of wonderful members.
Glad you found us!
Marie
Old 05-08-2010, 03:05 AM

Hi Bev
I am from the UK originally although I have lived in Kenya for many years.You may be unfortunate because you live in a small village but there are thousands of quilters in the UK, hundreds of quilting shops and many teachers - we have them visiting us regularly in Kenya to give lessons. There are also some good British magazines Popular Patchwork,British Patchwork and Quilting and Fabrications which will give you lots of contacts.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:10 AM

Hi Bev,
I'm another British quilter. We do exist. I like in Shropshire, so not that far away either. Where abouts in Staffordshire are you? We could compare notes on quilt shops :-)

Sarah
Old 05-08-2010, 04:01 AM

Bev, Welcome from Colorado. The Internet is a wonderful way to learn how to quilt. There are so many tutorials and free patterns available that a person doesn't have to buy any patterns. There are so many beautiful quilts that the members make that inspire me to do more quilting. The only problem is not having enough time to quilt as much as I want. We have beautiful fabrics that our ancestors would be envious about.
The QB is like having a World full of quilting friends at your fingertips. All of the suggestions you have received have been genuine. There isn't a nicer group of friends. Enjoy your quilting.
We'd love to see your work. Eiltcoq.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:37 AM

Bev:
It seems you have received a lot of support and advice from many board members. I know it is not the same as having someone to get together with and share your passion. Just know that each and every one of us would love to get together in person with you if we could. We will try to do the next best thing and support you from afar. And you never know when one of us will show up on your doorstep and want to see some of your work in person! You are always welcome on my doorstep!
Old 05-08-2010, 12:31 PM

I am surprised!

Jennie Rayment is well known here in US and she is from UK, written books and a fabulous quilter.

http://www.jennierayment.com/

You may find these helpful, unless you already know of them
http://www.quilt.co.uk/
http://www.quiltersguild.org.uk/

I hope that besides finding us here, I hope that you also find some new quilting friends near you.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 05-08-2010, 12:36 PM

Here is a blog of a wonderful lady from the UK... you might enjoy it. I know the UK is quite large and I am not familiar with how far the towns are from each other. But you would have another Brit to chat with via email and Jan's blog.

http://jansmusing.blogspot.com/

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 05-08-2010, 01:00 PM

Thank you so so so very very very much for everyone's advice and friendly replies i only wish i knew you all in person and you lived nearby and we could all get together to quilt but life's not that simple.
I am so happy that i can now come onto this website knowing that there are people in the world who actually care about quilting and actually appreciate quilts and my quilts.
I now don't feel so alone in my hobby and i am hoping to find a quilting group but have not succeeded at the mo but new days never run out so hears hoping
Bev xxx
Old 05-08-2010, 02:25 PM

Hi Bev,

I live in Coventry so could be nearish to you as you have said you live in Staffordshire? I buy on line and am only just starting a bed size quilt. Up till now I have only made tote bags and cushions..
There is a quilt shop just off junction 16 M6 called the Bramble Patch and they have day classes and the Quilters Guild run groups, have you looked to see any near you?

It would be nice to keep in touch and compare progress.. I could do with some one who knows what they are doing!
Happy stitching
Chris
Old 05-08-2010, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by alwayssmiling24
I live in Coventry so could be nearish to you as you have said you live in Staffordshire? I buy on line and am only just starting a bed size quilt. Up till now I have only made tote bags and cushions..
There is a quilt shop just off junction 16 M6 called the Bramble Patch and they have day classes and the Quilters Guild run groups, have you looked to see any near you?
Chris
I think the Bramble Patch might be J16 M1, not M6.
I tend to use one in Whitchurch, Shropshire. However I also periodically use the Cotton Patch in Birmingham (Hall Green), or White Cottage in Seisdon (sp?) nearish Wolverhampton.
More over Staffordshire way theres a small place at Amerton, and theres a good one at Arkwrights Mill in Derbyshire?

Which part of Staffordshire are you?

Do you read any of the UK quilting magazines? Theres generally a fair few shops advertised in those.
Sarah x