Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hoop or No Hoop >

Hoop or No Hoop

Hoop or No Hoop

Old 05-06-2010, 04:27 AM

No hoop - ever... just quilt them on my lap!
Old 05-08-2010, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Simple Pleasure
When hand quilting small items, do you use a hoop or frame?
Patricia
I've tried a hoop years ago and it just didn't work for me so not I DON'T use either one. I pin baste about every 3 inches or so and then hand baste in both directions about every 3 or 4 inches. It takes me a day to get a quilt basted and ready to hand quilt but I can take it anywhere and work on it for the several of months it takes me to get the quilting completed and remove the basting and pins as I quilt an area. A few of my friends in my quilt chapter are now quilting without a hoop or frame and feel like I do that it's easier on us to do. The hoop always had me working in an awkward position resutling in sore neck, shoulders and upper arms and I have none of that the way I quilt. I take it with me to quilt meetings, when we travel, quilt in front of tv in the evenings. The key is good basting. If you try to skimp on the basting, your quilting will show the results - not good. Hope you figure out them method that works best for you.

Oh yes, another reason I prefer no hoop or frame is I like the poof my quilting results in. With the hoop for frame, you will have a flatter quilt which is fine if that's the desired result. Try one method and see how you feel about it. If it isn't right, try another. Eventually you'll figure out what you prefer to do and who knows, you may be among the many who opt to machine quilt instead.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:15 PM

I use a large round hoop and twist it around like steering wheel as I work around the section. Once I finished the center and out to edges as far as I can, I do the finish quilting by without a hoop. I used to have an large oval hoop but it broke. My bf was going to make me a pvc frame but could not find the pvc t-joint 3 way thingies and he's a plumber! I am sure they could be ordered online. Maybe when we move to a bigger place where I could set one up I will try to find them.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:17 PM

I'm going to give the heavy basting idea a try. I don't think I'll ever be a machine quilter...I just love the feeling of working with needle in hand!
Old 05-09-2010, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by gmcsewer
New question. What method do you use for marking stitching lines to do feathers or other designs?
I use the blue marking pens and then spritz with water when ready to remove them. For areas I know I'll got done in a session, I can use the disappearing purple marker but for areas I know will take awhile to get to, I use the blue one and spritz heavily until the marks disappear. I use the plastic stencils most of the time. On occasion, I will put squares on my light box and trace the patterns on but for sashings and areas that can't be marked before quilting, I use the plastic stencils.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:37 AM

I use a hoop. My large one's wing nut is stripped so have to get another one today. Been using a small 6-7 inch hoop and I have to move it a lot. Can't wait to use the large one again.

Kyia
Old 05-09-2010, 06:41 AM
Banned

I demonatrated a method to quilt edges of the quilt in a round hoop. It should be on www.quilterstv.com Not sure which section but go to Quilters Cafe and scroll down and yu will probably find it.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:41 AM
Banned

the method used straight pins and rubber bands.