Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Charity  quilts >

Charity quilts

Charity quilts

Old 05-08-2010, 06:17 PM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. It has given me a few ideas to begin working with some organization. I knew I could count on y'all. (you'ens) I have taken a break from sewing on my 3 baby quilts, all due my June 1st. Will post ictures of progress this month. HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!! ~~~~~kim~~~~~
Old 05-08-2010, 06:31 PM

Kim, do look for a local guild.

Our guild makes
- 'cuddle quilts' that go out with emergency workers for children in trauma situations,
- 'Child Can' quilts for children undergoing cancer treatment
- quilts for families of fallen soldiers
- quilts for 'Loads of Love' - a missionary

Some of them are kits that are precut (or mostly) that you can take home to work on, some are groups that gather weekly or bi-weekly. All are working with fabric that is donated.

My mother-in-law volunteers at a 'new to you' organization that resells clothing - they only resell articles that are in very good shape - anything that doesn't sell or is torn or needs repair, is a candidate for remaking into quilts! These quilts are distributed to mission services for homeless, and to women's shelters. I've done lots of quilt tops for them too - she brings me a stack of squares to sew together, gathers them up for the next week's session. These humble quilts are often really charming and beautiful - the ladies laying out the fabric are talented in picking out interesting things that work well together. The denim quilts from this are just amazing - they leave the pockets in, decorative trims, etc.

And this is all in a small town ...
Old 05-11-2010, 08:49 AM

Thank you so much. I'm leaving in a week to spend a month in TX. My oldest son is graduating and my step daughter is having her 3rd daughter. Going to get to celebrate my birthday with my step mom (we have the same birthday). Once I return I'm gonna jump all over the ideas passed along on this message board. ~~~KIM~~~
Old 05-11-2010, 08:51 AM
Banned

where do you live
Old 05-11-2010, 09:06 AM

SOUTH EAST OHIO
OFF THE OHIO RIVER. I'M FROM TEXAS. HUSBANDS DAD GOT REALLY ILL WITH ALZHEIMERS (PASSED AWAY A YEAR AGO) AND NOW WE'RE TAKING CARE OF HIS MOM.
WHERE ARE YOU?