Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
just got back from Wal-Mart... >

just got back from Wal-Mart...

just got back from Wal-Mart...

Old 05-11-2010, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by sylslight
that quilt in your profile pic/avatar is really unique!!!! is there a pattern or did you make it up???? I would love to do one like that!!!

Thanks! ~Sylvia~
Whose avatar are you talking about? There are some really nice quilts in lots of people's avi's!

Mine is called called Center Stage put out by Pieced Tree Patterns. It's a little laminated card, around 3 1/2" X 5 1/2" with the pattern picture on one side and the directions on the other side. You can find them online or in your local quilt shop.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:40 AM

The Walmart here on Mt. Desert Island, ME has NO fabric in it anymore. When they moved to another part of town and became a Super Walmart they gave it up. HOWEVER, we have a new Mardens where the old Walmart was and they have a fabric dept. to die for! There are 100s of fabrics there to the point that they have put them in aisles by color in addition to other sections with kids, patterns, notions etc. I bought 2 bundles (11 fabrics each) of fat quarters that were $9.99 each. Really nice material.

Originally Posted by Dina
After reading all the posts that say Wal-Mart is going out of the fabric business, I made a point of going by the fabric dept. here and asking. I got the same message....they are not going out of the fabric business at this Wal-Mart. I wonder if they are just not being told?

At any rate, even though I did not need any fabric and even though I told myself just yesterday that from now on I would not buy fabric unless I had a project in mind, I bought ten pieces. Seven are purple and three are turquoise. No, I don't have patterns in mind, though I know there is a purple quilt in my future. (I asked about purple quilts here recently and found many many wonderful ideas!! I just haven't settled on one yet.)

I didn't find any fantastic sales or anything, but I had a good time. :)
Old 05-11-2010, 09:41 AM

the story I heard was that when "Mrs Walmark" died, they were going to discontinue the fabric since she was the one who wanted it. But my main concern is, I never thought their fabric was the best......I try to get all mine at quilt stores, and we must really try to support them. It is hard enough to stay in business these days
Old 05-11-2010, 10:12 AM

That's fine and dandy if you can afford the prices. I know the argument is to buy when on sale, but even that can be more pricey than Walmart or Mardens etc. This new store has so many that I am sure, if quilters read the labels, they can pick out those that won't shrink etc. The fabrics I bought today are all lightweight flannels are are just gorgeous!

Originally Posted by Jacqué
the story I heard was that when "Mrs Walmark" died, they were going to discontinue the fabric since she was the one who wanted it. But my main concern is, I never thought their fabric was the best......I try to get all mine at quilt stores, and we must really try to support them. It is hard enough to stay in business these days
Old 05-11-2010, 10:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jacqué
That would be great if I could afford to pay 9.98 per yard. :thumbdown:
Old 05-11-2010, 10:35 AM

The local Wal-Mart in Port Orchard, WA
stoped carrying fabric about 1 year ago... :thumbdown:
Old 05-11-2010, 10:39 AM

The fabric dept. in our Walmart in DeLand , Fl is alive & well. All the ladies that shop there signed petitions & made phone calls to keep our fabric there. It worked!!
Old 05-11-2010, 10:39 AM

Our local Walmart (Secaucus NJ) s being converted to a Super Walmart; craft/fabric department is gone. A new Super Walmart opened recently (North Bergen NJ)only 10 minutes from my home. There's a craft department with minimal quilting supplies, no fabric, and the section headed "batting" is bags and bags of fiberfill. No batting.
The fabric department in the Secaucus store was always active. I don't understand their reasoning.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:53 AM

Do you really have to have a project in mind to buy fabric? OOOHHH I didn't get the message. hehehehehe em
Old 05-11-2010, 10:59 AM

Hi all, I wrote to Wal-Mart regarding the fabric departments and asked if there were any near me in Florida. I got a really nice response letting me know that they were phasing out all of the fabric departments. They apologized for the inconvenience. A lot of good that does all of us!!! My son lives in North Carolina and his Wal-Mart still has HUGE fabric dept., so when I visit him, I like to stock up.